Transport en commun - Discussion générale

Un beau cas pour parler de symbiose industrielle dans son aspect RH! Ça prendrait des SDC pour les quartiers industriels où ce genre de chose pourrait être bénéfique!

2 « J'aime »

Il y a des balbutiements, comme l’asso du parc Industriel De Baie d’Urfe.

Parlant de Baie d’urfé, il y surement des cas oû la STM pourrait profiter du positionnement de stations pour joindre des dessertes qui sont autrement trop difficile à servir séparément. Par exemple une ligne Morgan-Lakeshore-Université McGill.

3 « J'aime »

Pour vrai, c’est le genre d’initiatives qui manque actuellement. Mais je pense que face à la pénurie de main d’œuvre qu’on a juste-là, ça va finalement incité les entreprises (et les chambres de commerce) à faire ce genre de transition dans leurs façons de faire.

Et pourquoi pas encourager du co-voiturage dans ce genre de situation.
Il y a clairement des employés de l’entreprise qui s’y déplacent en auto (probablement solo!) pour les même quarts, la plupart doivent se diriger vers Décarie de toute manière, il serait donc facile de leur donner un petit incitatif pour déposer quelques personnes au métro sur le chemin.

Such a dumb idea

5 « J'aime »

Well, it seems like the biggest problem is always money and this kind of system I’m sure it could be retrofited quite easily into a tramway. I’d rather see 5 lines of this than half a line that connects nothing because there’s no money ever.

They make it sound like it is much smoother than a bus, but we all know that our roads are often in need of repairs after barely a few years. This is in part why rail is far superior. they can move a bit with temperature, but they typically won’t suffer from serious defects like roads.

The other thing is that I’m rather curious about how theses actually follow the route assigned to them. If I understand correctly what is said in the video, they make it sound like it follows line on the road using cameras. A quick research seems to confirm this. The problem in Montreal is that line markings are obscured at least 4-5 months of the year. It just isn’t viable without something more to act as a guidance system, may that be some kind of signaling devices embedded in the road, GPS, cellular tower triangulation or some other kind of solution. In a city like Montreal, there’s also the problem of interactions with cars, pedestrians and bicycles. At that point, they might as well be trying to do exactly what Tesla is doing, and hasn’t quite yet succeeded at with the Full Self Driving Beta. In its current state, I don’t think it is a viable solution for Montreal.

4 « J'aime »

Im typically in the something is better than nothing case, but I’m not sure I agree here.

Gadgetbahns like this draw away attention and potentially financing from other, more proven and reliable modes that we know will work. While there’s nothing inherently offensive about this one, but this doesn’t really fit into a niche like any other classical modes.

It’s at best as fast a bus in its own lane, but it’s less comfortable and reliable than a train. Unless it does street running, it won’t be cheap, and if it does, it’s basically a bus again. It’s just really hard to find a place where it is the best solution.

Realistically, the problem people have with buses is that they’re slow. Having ridden the Transitway in Ottawa, I can say that buses are just fine when you’re barreling down the road at 80kmh. So taking the money and doing what you can to make the buses faster (signal communication, Bus lanes, Interborough Shuttles) is a much safer investment which doesn’t add a new bespoke system adding complexity.

3 « J'aime »

Speak of the Devil

4 « J'aime »

Seriously, though, we can’t even get decent buses in this city thanks to some weird protectionist dogma that has us continually buying the same crap from the “local” bus maker that’s been foreign-owned for 20 years.

5 « J'aime »

If money weren’t an issue I would very much prefer Métro all over the area, that would be the real solution to transit. I’m just saying that we’re not getting Métro or a bus system improvement either.

I agree with the things you guys are saying. It’s probably just frustration talking :face_exhaling:.

Apple has finally updated the logos, and have added exo buses:
image2 copy
image1 copy

What’s fun is the exo bus logo they’re using come from their schedules, and I sent them an example of what it could look like (below) and they seemed to have quite literally copied that. The reason they chose grey instead of black is probably in order to follow their app guidelines, so that if you look at the line in dark mode, it’s still visible on a darker background.
Le Richelain After

On the map, previously Longueuil Terminal was displayed like this, showing separate buses from each old agency:
Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 1.28.14 AM

Now, it follows more similarly to the ARTM signage:
Screenshot_2023-02-25_at_1.28.57_AM

Screenshot 2023-02-25 at 1.52.00 AM

To go with this, most (not all) STM buses are finally colour coded to match their maps, local being blue, express in pink (although this might change in the future), shuttles being purple, night buses in black/dark grey:

The STM doesn’t give any of this information in their GTFS, this had to be someone that manually visited the STM’s website and pick the colours from the map!

5 « J'aime »

Nova buses get their fair share of hate but personally I’ve never seen anything wrong with them. I’d say they’re very comparable to other buses I’ve ridden. The only poor bus I’ve been on was the RTL articulates buses on route 45 which were noisy and drafty, but those were also decades old.

J’ai toujours trouvé leur apparence visuelle fort intéressantes comparés aux autres marques de bus. C’est un design qui vient initalement des Pays-Bas et qui a un look très épuré avec son pare-brise monopièce et son extrémité arrondie.

C’est le genre de design qui vieillit très bien comparé aux Orion VI ou aux New Flyers des années 90 et qui reste encore élégant aujourd’hui.

2 « J'aime »

About land-use conflict around underexploited right-of-ways, specifically conversions to trails and parks.

Locally, the issue was brought up with the REM when CDPQ wanted to use the road verge on Notre-Dame set aside for transit projects. Some people viewed it as de facto parkland even if it was never intended as such.

This will probably come up as a point of contention again if the Lachine tram project moves forward, or if there’s ever a tram project on PAT.

3 « J'aime »

L’emprise a Lachine oscille entre 30m et presque 45m, ce sera amplement suffisant pour 2 voies véhiculaires + Tramway + piste cyclable + aménagements urbains, surtout que la partie la plus serré n’a pas d’habitation d’un côté de la rue (la section le long de Lachine-Est).

La vocation de l’ancienne voie ferré est sous-utilisé, c’est pas mal juste une strip de gazon avec une piste cyclable et beaucoup de stationnement perpendiculaire a la rue (beaucoup trop!)

Personne ne voit ça comme un parc linéaire quand tu as juste a côté 1) le Parc Lasalle et 2) La promenade Père-Marquette le long du fleuve.

3 « J'aime »

Superbe vidéo avec d’excellentes analyses.

Et effectivement, une fois qu’une emprise ferroviaire (ou l’emprise du MTQ le long de Notre-Dame) est utilisée comme piste cyclable etc, les riverains se transforme soudainement en farouches NYMBYs si l’ont veux y installer autre chose, ou du TC.

Voici une vingtaine d’années, les mêmes NIMBYs avaient bloqués un projet de SRB (“ViaBus”) le long de Souligny et la rue Notre-Dame.

3 « J'aime »

Not parks and trails, but the most disappointing example in Montreal has to be those townhouses built on the Victoria ROW in PAT.

Similar widths on Souligny. But really, the piece isn’t so much about trails and parks specifically, but how reintroducing transit where the space can accommodate it can still be faced with opposition. In Lachine, the trail/park reconfiguration likely won’t be as controversial as the of parking and road space adjustments.

1 « J'aime »

Un message a été fusionné à un sujet existant : Exo - Discussion générale