Station Sunnybrooke

There’s definitely a lot of untapped potential to build density, but there are some corners that already have the density to support active & public transit. Cloverdale specifically has density on par with some central neighborhoods as well as the only census subdivision in the West Island where cars are not the majority mode of transport used to get to work, but is served by

• no active transit infra
  • the 208

I’m not saying it would suddenly become some urbanist paradise, but I think a little investment could go a long way and the borough doesn’t seem interested. It’s absurd that the REM will open in just over a year (:crossed_fingers:) and there’s no PPU for any area east of Sources.

5 « J'aime »

Anyway, the new sidewalks around the station feel too narrow and the active/micro mobility infra insufficient. Beis is a beast, doing Pierrefonds-Ville-Marie with the current infra is impressive, but that’s the thing that’s pro level, most people need better to make taking a kick e-scooters or bike to the station an actual option.

EDIT: Just realized that the bike path is on DDO side and Beis has nothing to do with it :person_facepalming: Yeah walking/biking experience on Gouin is bad, but for Sunnybrooke it’s really Alex Bottausci & co. that have a say on how they rebuild the boulevard. While I’m on a DDO tangent and we’re talking the area near the station… almost everyone ignores the radar speed signs on Spring Garden.

2 « J'aime »

If it runs from Cérès to Gouin, I think about half of it is in Pierrefonds

1 « J'aime »

North of the station is Pierrefonds, south is DDO.

Travaux d’élagage de haie et retrait temporaire de clôture mitoyenne

DANS LA SEMAINE DU LUNDI 09 OCTOBRE 2023

Nature des travaux :

En vue de la construction du passage piétonnier permettant de relier la rue Cérès à la future station Sunnybrooke du REM (Réseau express métropolitain), des travaux d’élagage de haie et de remplacement de clôture mitoyenne sont prévus dans la semaine du lundi 09 octobre 2023.

Une clôture de chantier sera par la suite installée de façon temporaire avant de procéder à l’installation permanente d’une clôture à mailles de type « frost » au courant du printemps 2024. La clôture permanente sera installée à l’intérieur des limites de site du REM.

Impact et mesures d’atténuation :

• Les travaux d’élagage seront supervisés par une équipe de professionnels en environnement.
  • Lorsque possible, la méthode de travail du consortium NouvLR est ajustée pour limiter les coupes au minimum requis.
  • Du bruit important pourrait être engendré par ces travaux. Un suivi sera réalisé par nos experts en environnement.

La carte ci-bas présente la localisation de la zone de travaux :

Photos aériennes de la station, prises la semaine dernière

17 « J'aime »

Photo des travaux, partagée sur le site de NouvLR: :+1:

Station Sunnybrooke - Été 2023

14 « J'aime »

HydroQC works at the station.

13 « J'aime »

Quand je regarde le quartier à côté, je me demande s’il ne serait pas possible de rezoner et de changer ça pour des habitations plus en hauteur et plus dense, pour maximiser le potentiel d’utilisation de la station.

Je sais que ce n’est pas une partie de Sim City, mais il me semble que la valeur du terrain est immense considérant sa position géographique.

Est-ce possible?

3 « J'aime »

Absolument possible, mais les règlements d’urbanisme de Pierrefonds-Roxboro rendent ça impossible pour l’instant. Il y avait un projet de 180 logements qui devait être construit sur le terrain juste l’autre côté de Sunnybrooke, mais ça a été bloqué par 29 résidents qui ont fait une pétition demandant un référendum (référendum trop coûteux pour l’arrondissement et donc le projet est tombé à l’eau) c’est la même histoire à Roxboro.

Je ne sais pas si c’est la volonté du maire d’arrondissement d’upzoné le coin. Mais c’est certainement l’objectif de la ville et de la CMM que d’upzoner les quartiers avoisinants du transport lourd.

J’habite personnellement à 10 minutes des deux stations dans l’Ouest de l’île et j’adorais voir le coin se densifier. C’est tellement mort depuis le début des années 2000 tout le centre-ville de Roxboro…

@AlexL

15 « J'aime »

I think Mayor Jim wants to densify and modernize the city, but he has become a professional politician over the years, and tends to swim with the tides of his (overwhelmingly-NIMBYist) electorate.

2 « J'aime »

I went back to an article as I thought your assesment was perhaps a little harsh, but nope. You’re absolutely right. From the adjacent project killed by 26 residents:

“That whole notion of not in my backyard – I understand it in many ways, but I would also ask folks to keep an open mind and an open spirit about these types of developments because it’s part of the whole revitalization process when you look at areas that surround train stations,” said Pierrefonds-Roxboro Borough Mayor Jim Beis.

And

“If no one is interested in revitalizing these types of areas, they are going to stay status quo for a long time,” said Beis. “And status quo is dilapidated buildings in many cases, it’s vacant buildings in many cases.”

While I applaud him for saying something, but these are quite soft. While I believe that if the bill at the provincial level allowing municipalities to override zoning comes into effect, I’d wager he’d support and ultimately approve any project 6 stories or less on anything currently occupied by commercial next to the stations.

He seems like he understands the implications of not approving these, but I’m definitely disappointed by his lack of leadership on the topic. Especially because of how soundly EM won in the area, its not like their voters are going to move towards PM if they’re concerned about too much development. We need someone in power to be clear about why densification is good for everyone, especially in these areas of dilapidation. However, with the rules in place, I’m not sure how much power he and his team actually have to do anything about it.

8 « J'aime »

Avec la crise du logement, ça devrait être impossible pour 29 résident de bloquer un projet de densification.

19 « J'aime »

Absolument et c’est certain que cela a eu des impacts sur d’autres développeurs qui avaient annoncé ou non leur intention de construire dans le coin.

3 « J'aime »

17 « J'aime »

Les plans pour la station on changé, je ne sais pas si c’est avec la vague de mise à jour de dernièrement

Old

New

Ils ont enlevé la piste cyclable qui mène à la station? Étrange.

2 « J'aime »

dommage qu’il n’y est plus de piste cyclable.

2 « J'aime »

Un choix de l’arrondissement?

Jsp c’est vraiment étrange. Peut-être qu’ils va rien y avoir au final, mais qu’on a quand même construit au cas où la piste cyclable lol. Parce qu’il y a ça actuellement et ça va jusqu’à Gouin et clairement ça n’a pas été construit comme une plate-bande.

Et quand c’était en construction

4 « J'aime »