Station Île-des-Soeurs

To misquote Yogi Berra, “Ninety percent of this project is half-assed.”

1 « J'aime »

Is it the only staircase out? it looks like it’s made as a “short cut” to not need to walk to end of the bike path and turn to go down the ramp (for what I believe is the bus stop here)
Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 1.25.55 AM

3 « J'aime »

I’m starting to believe less and less in the Spring 2023 opening date…

Near Panama station the sidewalk isn’t complete yet but they’ve been working on it, and it seems to only take a week for two after they put the gravel in. So a lot of this will be complete soon (at least just in this angle)

5 « J'aime »

I think so, yeah, it was just surprising to see since they could’ve leveled that part of the station to actually have a constant bike path from the station to the bridge, but oh well

I wonder if they also did this to slow down bikes and prevent them speeding right into people walking out from the REM station. But even with that, the bridge ramp is pretty gradual and people don’t go that fast

2 « J'aime »

They also seem to be building a bike/pedestrian path on Champlain Street

And it matches up with their implementation plan:

7 « J'aime »

Oui, c’est bien le cas, ce sera une piste multi-fonctionnelle. Ce sera le seul accès piéton / cycliste de ce côté de l’autoroute, jusqu’à ce qu’un accès soit aménagé à travers les terrains de la Cité de l’île. Ce nouveau lien permettra de rejoindre le secteur de la Place du Commerce.

2 « J'aime »

Est-ce qu’on a une idée sur le temps d’aménagement requis?
Ceux qui travaillent à la Place du Commerce (comme moi) devront faire un détour de 10-15 minutes si l’accès n’est pas rendu disponible à travers le stationnement du Desjardins… Si je me rappelle, le PPU du Nord de l’Île disait que l’accès devrait être permis par le développeur privé des terrains (bon, oui c’est un stationnement dans un affreux état, mais un accès temporaire serait très utile)

Il devrait y avoir un accès possible par les terrains de la Cité-de-l’Île dès l’ouverture de la station: ça sera aménagé de façon transitoire par le propriétaire du terrain, puisque de nombreux travaux devraient avoir lieu sur ce terrain au cour des prochaines années. Éventuellement on devrait y trouver une place publique.

La fréquence de passage des bus de la STM sera aussi améliorée et les circuits revus, donc ça sera plus facile et convivial de les utiliser, même si c’est juste pour un court trajet comme celui entre la Place du Commerce et la station.

5 « J'aime »

Merci!

The bus loop is being paved today:

I like the single bench in the middle of the plant area. I’ll be checking out that seat when it opens

11 « J'aime »

I feel the STM is probably going to ask them to add fences for the bus loop. That’s what they did at a few of their own stations because there were too many incidents between their buses and pedestrians.

Sauf que dans ce cas-ci, il n’y a absolument rien en face des arrêts d’autobus qui pourrait inciter les piétons à y traverser la boucle.

4 « J'aime »

I think it depends on the ridership and frequency of the buses, as well as more generally if the area or the layout in one way or another encourages people to engage. Roxboro, fairview, and dorval terminuses for example all have no fences and so far it seems like it hasn’t really been a problem at any of those spots

1 « J'aime »

I really don’t what exactly that makes bus stops need so much space around here, and why they’re dangerous to pedestrians. I was just schocked when a cop almost gave me a ticket for walking on a “bus loop” (a term I had never heard before), to me a big bus station was always a pedestrian place, with bus slowly getting out while people walk all around.
My guess is in part that the network I’m used to in switzerland has the big exchange stations in the middle of through running lines that only stop for a few minutes at the longest, while here it’s a terminus stations, meaning it needs space for the buses to loop there, as well as bus parking space.

3 « J'aime »

Main thing left is the bike path!

7 « J'aime »

I like the use of the ultra wide crosswalks around the REM, it’ll be cool to see that painted. I wish the city made wider crosswalks in general!

3 « J'aime »

The bike path is paved almost fully! Just a few metres i think so go
(I’m not there but I’ve seen photos shared elsewhere)

6 « J'aime »

Wish they would just finish it already. Last touches seem to be taking forever. Especially now that we know what the bus redesign will look like, I just wanna hop on the REM! They sprayed grass on the earth on the north side, so I think the next thing they’ll do is the grass on the south side.

17 « J'aime »