REM - Discussion générale

No they only changed the validation part, not the whole turnstile.

2 « J'aime »

Apparently they are testing a new type of gate for the fare line.

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 8.59.57 AM

9 « J'aime »

In typical ARTM fashion it’s massively oversized

I was hoping for a design more similar to Ottawa’s sleek gates

1 « J'aime »

Ils semble y avoir 2 grandeurs. Un peu comme le système actuel. Si on remarque sur la 2ème photo, celui en utilisation est le plus gros. Fauteuil roulant, valise etc. Et celui a droite semble est la largeur d’une personne pour l’utilisation normal. Mais à voir comment les portiques à ventaux rouge sont malmené je ne donne pas cher de ce type d’installation à long terme. Donc ça reste a voir s’ils vont procéder à l’implantation ou non.

4 « J'aime »

pictograms shows this is the gate for wheel chair, bikes, strollers, lugages, etc.

2 « J'aime »

These too, but they don’t have the weird borders

3 « J'aime »

I believe these are Conduent machines, based on the ones recently shown in NYC.
IMG_4954

Conduent is in charge of the readers in buses as well, so it makes sense if they’ll be like this

8 « J'aime »

Si, après le REM, c’est ce qui s’en vient à moyen-long terme dans le metro… J’espères qu’ils sont robustes… Les gens qui passent facilement par-dessus les tourniquets seront probablement enclins à endommager ces portiques.

Sont-ils dans d’autres systèmes de transport? Y’a-t-il des données sur les bris?

2 « J'aime »

fare_gates.pdf (256,6 Ko)

Le document de présentation de ces machines. La compagnie dit pouvoir distinguer entre un usager et un article de bagage. Le portique serait “adaptable” entre un mode anti-fraude et un mode fluidité.

4 « J'aime »

Les portes de ce type sont assez répandu. Un système similaire est utilisé par Londres et Paris.

Elles sont plus difficile à sauter que d’autres système comme celui de Singapour.

Les gates de Tokyo fonctionnent sous un principe différent. Elles sont toujours ouverte et se ferme si un usager essaye de passer sans scanner son son titre de transport.

4 « J'aime »

Le REM vient de rentrer dans le Mainstream !

16 « J'aime »

9 « J'aime »

Bienvenue morispidar. Ton pseudonyme est-il un jeu de mots avec Boris the Spider?

Boris the Spider, alias John Entwistle the Ox.

2 « J'aime »

I think the doors are way too high, it will be a safety hazard to people attempting to jump them.
I guess free passengers here will just adopt the same technique I’ve seen them use in other areas with high gate, just stick yourself to a paying passenger.
Ironically the high gates help for this since you’re more discreet passing with someone than jumping the current gates in direct view of the ticket counter.

That’s the idea. They don’t want peoples jumping the doors.

Theses gates are very quick to open and close. You would basically have to be in someone’s personal space, breathing down their neck. At that point, you are going to make people very uncomfortable and suspicious that you might be looking to rob them or do something else inappropriate. Most peoples aren’t going to tolerate peoples getting that close and intimate in their personal space.

All it takes is a few cameras. Face recognition software has gotten rather good nowadays and is widely available. Feed that into AI and the STM could easily differentiate between paying and non-paying passenger and even follow them as they move through the network. Of course, they still need to enforce it.

To put it that way, the technology has gotten so good that we could even take the fare gates completely out and still be able to track who has and hasn’t payed his fare. The technology is there. Its all about choosing the right bit of kit for the job and implementing it. Unfortunately, as far as that goes, I’ve pegged the STM and the ARTM as organisations that are old fashion and way behind the game. I feel that part of the problems that the Montreal transit network is facing is organisations that have not modernised and aren’t ready to face the realities of the modern world.

2 « J'aime »

Some exceptions: high schoolers on a school trip abroad but on a tight budget :joy:

Yeah, that gate is a clear fail. Also, the way those gates work is different than the gates in the photo posted by Mashdash and the ones I posted from London and Tokyo. Those gates rotate while the one in the video that you posted is a sliding / gillotine gate.

I have the radical opinion that people should not suffer physical injuries as punishment for not being able to pay a 3 dollars fare. If injuring people is the goal then those gates are fucking evil.

1 « J'aime »

Or how about people pay three dollars?

12 « J'aime »