REM - Discussion générale

Hotel ? Trivago

5 « J'aime »

You’ve made my point. Are the people in Griffintown or the Cité unable to walk to Lucien-L’Allier, Bonaventure, Square Vic, or Centrale? Are they not served by local buses?

The Trivago scruffy guy ads always remind me of Mentos ads… “Wtf, are these German?”

The main reasons why I’m down for the Griffintown station are that :

• l’ÉTS is a massive trip generator
  • the 1000s of highway exits in the quartier des gares and CF’s vacant lot along Peel make the trip from Bonaventure to l’ÉTS and the rest of Griffintown incredibly unpleasant and low-key dangerous
  • the busses around the campus are notoriously shitty. The 107 is the only one that can pick up students close to campus and it comes every 30min most of the day when it’s not late. The connection between Griffintown and the rest of downtown is shockingly poor. That should be an easy fix, but we’re 10 years into the creation of the neighbourhood and it still has not been done.
23 « J'aime »

My compromise is to fuse the two stations (GBL and Bridge) and put one in the middle at the Wellington bridge or very near to it.
It could be named Griffintown-Bride-Bonaventure-Bernard-Landry, also called Wellington for short. /j

Griffintown-Bridge-Bernard-Landry-Wellington-Pointe-St-Charles .

1 « J'aime »

A station serving both sides (as originally proposed, “Station Bassin-Peel”) would’ve been really cool and very well used if it were technically or fiscally doable.

4 « J'aime »

Honestly while building over the canal would probably be more costly, I don’t think building just south of the wellington bridge would. Yes it would have to be built over active freight tracks, but so do all the proposed emplacements for the station, it cannot be avoided in this sector.
I don’t think that’s goping to happen though

Building over the track probably isn’t all that expensive. It looks like they made that piece of track long enough and straight enough that it can accommodate a station. As long as the support beam over the track is strong enough, they can probably just add another set of beams alongside the track to build the station.

Could be an option for the PSE to take over exo5 since the existing ROW can’t be upgraded to metro.

They fixed it finally and now use the term LRT which is a bit better:

Would Metro be appropriate terminology ? With high frequency, platform screen doors, complete grade seperation and metro rolling stock I don’t think the term “light rail” is appropriate.

7 « J'aime »

It would even label it just as “Train Station” which is what the SkyTrain station’s are called on Apple Maps

2 « J'aime »

Oui, le REM correspond en tout point à la définition d’un système de métro

• Emprise 100% en site propre, exclusive au service REM
  • Pas d’intersections à niveau
  • Service fréquent
  • Desserte urbaine/péri-urbaine (par opposition à un train de banlieue par exemple)

“Light Rail” (ou “train léger”) c’est un mot fourre-tout qui ne veut pas dire grand chose, utilisé à tort et à travers, et qui souvent finit par correspondre à un tramway glorifié. Ça vient probablement de l’époque où on a voulu imiter les Stadtbahn (tramway à plancher haut circulant en tunnel au centre-ville et sur rue en périphérie) et inventer un terme équivalent en anglais.

6 « J'aime »

Un métro léger reste un métro à 100% pareil :slight_smile:

3 « J'aime »

“Light rail” and “subway” are misnomers, American in origin. Apple being an US company, that’s the words they’re going to use even if they’re wrong.

3 « J'aime »

As far as I’m concerned, there’s really no ambiguity about what a “subway” is.

sub-, prefix. sub- comes from Latin, where it has the meaning "under, below, beneath ‘’:subsoil; subway. sub- is also used to mean "just outside of, near’‘:subalpine; subtropical. sub- is also used to mean "less than, not quite’':subhuman; subteen.

via (prep.) 1779, from Latin via “by way of,” ablative form of via “way, road, path, highway, channel, course” (from PIE root *wegh- “to go, move, transport in a vehicle,” which is also the source of English way (n.)).13 déc. 2020

And no, I don’t speak latin, but the meaning of those feels rather obvious for me.

En français Apple utilise le terme “métro léger”… encore mieux!

P.S. J’aimerais poster une capture d’écran mais pour une raison obscure, l’ajout d’un fichier plante constamment.

3 « J'aime »

I didn’t say it was ambiguous. “Subway” is a misnomer in the sense that it defines entire class of systems according to one mode of insertion.

Anyway the vast majority of riders won’t care for this discussion 😭
2 « J'aime »

I was trying to share this as well for a few hours and the file wasn’t uploading, so I used a third party file sharing instead (Discord).