REM 2 (Est de Montréal) - Projet annulé

Faudrait que l’ARTM arrive à négocier avec le CP de pouvoir ajouter des tracks sur son emprise et propose un projet prioritaire pour mettre cette infrastructure à niveau. Je pense sincèrement que la ligne Mascouche n’a aucun avenir si elle se limite à 5 départs par direction par jour.

6 « J'aime »

With regards to the Mascouche line, the 700M figure was mostly skewed on the brand new railway that was built along A-640. I think with sizeable investments we could double track the right-of-way, maybe electrify it (doubtful), increase frequencies enough to make this interesting for people, without needing to convert the line into a REM. It’s all about negotiations with CN though. Heck, maybe we should have the line back into Côte-de-Liesse and then continue on to Du Collège and Dorval for a true east-west line on the north side of the island.

As for a tram line, I’m not saying it should be a streetcar… some form of light rail could do? It’s quicker than a tram line but at ground level.

Je suis d’accord, mais pour ça il faut que nos barons ferroviaires soient ouverts à la négociation. Juste pour faire passer la ligne Mascouche par Côte-St-Luc avec le CN, ça a été assez laborieux.

1 « J'aime »

Si la CDPQi arrive à négocier le partage de l’emprise Souligny avec le CP ou l’achat du pont-bâtiment avec le CN, j’ose espérer que l’ARTM puisse négocier l’ajout de tiroirs sur certains tronçons de l’emprise du CN qu’elle partage déjà. Mon rêve, est d’y voir un train aux 15 min, dans les deux sens, toute la journée, mais je serais déjà heureux avec un train à l’heure dans les deux sens.

Je ne dirais pas non à l’ajout d’une gare à Papineau pour que je puisse le prendre pour visiter mes parents non plus.

5 « J'aime »

J’étais persuadé que c’était principalement les stations. Plusieurs sont absolument monstrueuses comparativement au niveau de service offert, sans compter leurs énormes stationnements incitatifs.

Dans ma tête c’était les structures au dessus de l’autoroute, mais effectivement les stations sont assez énormes…

Est-ce que l’emprise est assez large pour avoir plus de deux voies? si le CN n’utilise qu’une seule voie peut être qu’en avoir 3, dont 2 électrifiées pourrait être une bonne façon d’avoir un service aux 15 minutes entre Côte-de-Liesse et Pointe-aux-Trembles, avec des arrêts plus rapprochés (Papineau, Saint-Michel, Pie-IX, Lacordaire, etc.) avec un service diesel aux heures passé Pointe-aux-Trembles, qui est express entre Côte-de-Liesse et P-a-T avec un ou deux arrêts (genre Lacordaire en correspondance avec le tram et Anjou pour accès au parc industriel).

Les voies sont doubles à l’ouest de la Gare Ahuntsic, donc il y aurait de l’espace, cependant il faudrait rebâtir le talus entièrement et avoir un mur de soutènement. Cependant dépendamment du secteur, la nouvelle track devrait se faire au nord ou sud pour éviter d’être directement dans la cours des riverains, surtout que cette voie est maintenant entièrement cachée par des arbres.

Une autre grosse partie de l’investissement serait le doublement des ponts, car les actuels devraient être rebâtis, car juste passer en-dessous c’est inquiétant. Il y aurait aussi peut-être quelques pylônes à déplacer.

2 « J'aime »

I think having all the different possible services is a real advantage of including it, but yeah I don’t care too much as long as its a good service. All the things you propose are indeed things I would love to see too.

In the fear of just repeating what Reece says, I’m not a huge fan of light rail either. Having complete grade separation allows you to run frequencies that otherwise become kind of problematic, plus the interaction with cars at the gates can both slow you down and cause conflicts. That’s not to mention the operational gains and cost reductions of being able to automate when it is grade separated. Also, on the ground means we have to cut off a lot of communities with fences if we’re going to want to go faster than the speed limit (the Eglinton LR is going to have an average speed of 28km/h for example).

1 « J'aime »

light rail is a very large term. Let’s say we keep the Montréal-Nord branch as is (in a tunnel the whole way), and it turns east after Assomption metro along souligny. There are already very few crossings in Tetraultville. In Pointe-aux-Trembles, Sherbrooke being a stroad and not having a lot of intersections presents a good opportunity to have a light rail line along it’s median.

I feel like that’s a win-win… people who want to reach downtown/ville Saint-Laurent can take a frequent electric train to Côte-de-Liesse. People who want to reach the rest of the island can take an even more frequent light rail to Assomption metro, the east end hospitals, the blue line and Anjou and Montréal-Nord/Cegep Marie-Victorin.

1 « J'aime »

Je pense qu’on pourrait s’en tirer sans trop de problème en gardant les viaducs en single track. Il faudrait une augmentation spectaculaire de l’achalandage pour que quelques mètres de single tracks causent un problème de congestion. Ça voudrait cependant dire plus de switches.

1 « J'aime »

Il faudrait switcher 12 fois et ça ralentirait grandement le trajet qui n’est déjà rapide, de plus si un train de marchandise est déjà sur les voies et qu’il est très long, on se retrouverait en gridlock facilement et le train passage serait arrêté.

4 « J'aime »

It is a solution, but here are my issues with it:

1. We’re adding an extra tansfer. Transfers for a myriad of reasons including complexity and overall travel time, will reduce the usage of said line. McGill found that 2 transfers reduce rider satisfaction by 32%.
  2. The tunnel as it stands doesn’t exist without the REM. I’m not saying that the CDPQi is magical or anything, but the blue line extension is currently at 6G$, and that’s before shovels are in the ground. The LRT is about the same length. Say what you will about them, but they kept costs relatively in control even with the pandemic (about $700M of difference from initial estimates). Plus the addition of whatever the cost for the eastern portion of this LRT, we’d be getting uncomfortably close to the cost of the REM anyway for what is going to be an inferior service for the customer. Of course this is not the same project, but for something of this scale, without having a proper analysis done on how to control our costs yet nor any project proposed by the STM or ARTM, an alternative could take many, many years more, leaving riders waiting and leaving very potentially useful land out east under utilized in a housing crisis.
  3. The metro ride from L’Assomption to McGill is 26min, plus the time they spent on the LRT. This is a massive time increase from what the REM is proposing. This is simply due to the fact that the Metro is slower and that it has more stations.

In my opinion, I think we need to look at what it is we are damaging here. Yes, the people of Tetraultville are going to have some negative impacts, and I’m not going to say otherwise and I believe they should be compensated both financially and by making other improvements to the area. However, we need to ask ourselves what would we making the other tradeoffs for? Personally, I don’t find the structures particularly good looking, but I find them better than the tradeoffs we would be making to get rid of them. On Sainte-Catherine? No way. I can’t make that same call about Sherbrooke est or through an already existing rail ROW.

2 « J'aime »

I’m not sure what you are referring to, but unless someone wants to go to Bonaventure metro or central station, they will have to transfer somewhere. If they take the Mascouche line, it will be a transfer at Côte-de-Liesse, if it’s on REM B, it will be at gare centrale, if it’s my proposed light rail, it will be at the blue or green line.

We don’t really know what’s costing what right now, but I’m pretty sure that eliminating the 500m tunnel downtown, the 8km aerial guideway to Souligny and building the eastern branch at grade will generate much savings that could go toward building this proposed line the traditional way. Not to mention that there are alternatives to CDPQi, with the Canada Infrastructure Bank, etc.

Yet if you take the train to Côte-de-Liesse it’s about 35 minutes from Pointe-aux-Trembles, plus an 8 minute ride on the REM West. If you leave from Montréal-Nord it’s even easier, being a 20 minute ride, not taking into account improvements that could make the service quicker.

1 « J'aime »

I’m not sure what you are referring to, but unless someone wants to go to Bonaventure metro or central station, they will have to transfer somewhere.

For the REM B, they wouldn’t have to if they lived anywhere along the proposed route if they are going downtown. The argument more geared to those that would be along this LRT. It does all depend on what the final destination of the rider is, so I concede that this is very dependent on other factors.

We don’t really know what’s costing what right now, but I’m pretty sure that eliminating the 500m tunnel downtown, the 8km aerial guideway to Souligny and building the eastern branch at grade will generate much savings that could go toward building this proposed line the traditional way. Not to mention that there are alternatives to CDPQi, with the Canada Infrastructure Bank, etc.

This is really up in the air. Assuming this is somewhat similar to what Line 5 in Toronto costs ($5.5B for 19km, tunneled and at grade) combined with the proposed improvements to the Mascouche line to get a proper service on it, I wouldn’t be surprised if we hit $7-8B for it when all is said and done, but of course both of us don’t know. Sure we have other ways of paying for it, and we’re saving some money but getting a less competitive service. (See next point)

Yet if you take the train to Côte-de-Liesse it’s about 35 minutes from Pointe-aux-Trembles, plus an 8 minute ride on the REM West. If you leave from Montréal-Nord it’s even easier, being a 20 minute ride, not taking into account improvements that could make the service quicker.

Yes, for those living in M-N its about even if we include the transfer and for those in PAT its about a 10-15 minute downgrade. For the stops around the LRT its about 4-6 mins slower from l’Assomption to downtown (sorry plugged in the wrong thing into maps before) which isn’t so bad, but I really have my doubts that a train at grade running down the middle of Sherbrooke would be allowed to hit the same speeds that a fully grade separated train would, fenced or not. Nor would I expect a manned train to have the same frequency that the REM would due to operating cost, nor would I expect it to be as reliable to the timetable. Also, these all presume that these transfers would be occurring at rush hour when the wait times are minimal. Outside of rush hour, these transfers could potentially add a lot of time where the REM is a straight shot.

One thing that we often overlook also is the redundancy aspect that this would provide. The Metro craps out… A lot. Can we make improvements? Absolutely and we still should. However having this additional mode allows us to have a back up if the green line goes down, make downtown more transit dense giving transit a better chance that the rapid transit is near their destination. I know these are little things, but when summed together, they have a profound impact.

Now back to work… I like this forum way too much :joy:

5 « J'aime »

C’est intéressant de vouloir ajouter de la redondance aux lignes de métro, mais je pense que la ligne verte n’est pas celle qu’on devrait prioriser. Lorsqu’on la compare à la ligne orange, qui elle a atteint sa capacité maximale, et que plusieurs quartiers de Montréal comme Lachine et Mtl-Nord/RdP n’ont toujours par accès à un TEC rapide, je trouve questionnable comme choix de mettre le peu d’argent qu’on a pour doubler la ligne verte. Certainement que sur long terme il sera nécessaire d’investir à cette endroit, mais je sens un besoin encore plus criant pour désengorger la ligne orange.

Pour desservir Montréal Nord et RdP, à mon avis, le tracé de la ligne rose reste le plus intéressant. On peut rajouter énormément d’offre de service dans St-Léonard et Rosemont passant dans des quartiers plus densément peuplés que ceux traversé par la branche nord trajet de l’actuel REM B. Certes, le cout absolu sera plus cher, mais si on calcule le ratio cout/densité de population de la zone couverte, une ligne rose pourrait être extrêmement avantageuse.

Pour ce qui est de Pointe-aux-Tremble, on a une densité proche de la banlieue avec beaucoup de bungalow et de terrains contaminés. Selon moi un service approprié serait un train de banlieue qui suivrait la branche est du REM B avec moins d’arrêts et qui se rendrait à repentigny. Ça permettrais de connecter facilement les habitants de PaT avec le centre-ville en plus de plaire aux résidents de Repentigny qui ne sont que partiellement desservit par la ligne exo 5 Mascouche.

2 « J'aime »

Incroyable quand même, toutes les études démontrent que l’installation d’un transport en commun structurant dans un quartier (métro, etc) augmente l’ascension social de ses habitants. Là on a Montréal Nord (tser) qui pourrait avoir sa station et grandement aider la population locale, mais non… l’ARTM qui fou jamais rien est pas contente, et le monde ont peur que ce soit laid. Ben sèche Montréal Nord, sorry.

3 « J'aime »

Whatever you think about the project, CDPQi PR team is S tier.

3 « J'aime »

Un autre avantage de la ligne rose est qu’elle permettrait de désengorger à la fois la ligne orange et la ligne verte tout en desservant des quartiers ayant grandement besoin d’investissements en transport en commun.

8 « J'aime »

On parle de la ligne qui sera jamais construite?

4 « J'aime »