Refonte du réseau bus

My thoughts exactly. I can understand changing the sign because bus routing is changed.

But I can’t understand why we wouldn’t do both at the same time if they want to change the signs and overhaul the network. It seems like a useless waste of money and ressources to do it the current way.

En même temps, ça serait plus résistant que les petits poteaux en métal actuel. Si un designer industriel réfléchis bien à tous les détails, les modifications peuvent se faire relativement facilement et plus élégamment que les housses en plastique avec une feuille blanche écrite au sharpie qui indique que l’arrêt a été ‘‘déplacé par la ->’’ écris tout croche et illisible

2 « J'aime »

Il y en a un plus un autre, des arrêts de bus! Ça va couter cher tout ça, si on fait des poteaux custom à chaque arrêt. Il y aurait moyen de faire des pancartes beaucoup plus belles, tout en gardant les poteaux en extrusion de métal cheap qu’ils utilisent déjà. (speaking as an industrial designer)

C’est sûr que de mettre ce poteau sur tous les arrêts serait couteux, mais au moins ceux qui ont 3 lignes et plus pourraient recevoir ce traitement, surtout les endroits avec des lignes de différentes sociétés ou les expresses.

J’imagine qu’on pourrait mixer les deux approche. Utiliser le design plus cher aux arrêts à grand achalandage (station de métro, grande intersection, terminus, centre-ville). Pour les usagers qui doivent effectuer des correspondance bus et qui ne viennent pas souvent à ces arrêts, ça pourrait améliorer la visibilité des arrêts et orienter les gens. Pour les désertes locales, ça me semble pas nécessaire puisque la majorité de l’achalandage de ces arrêts sont des personnes qui résident pas très loin et qui conaissent un peu leur quartier.

2 « J'aime »

I asked them about this, they said:

11 « J'aime »

Le site parlons-en est à nouveau actif pour les consultations de refonte du réseau dans l’ouest.

The parlons-en website is up again for consultations in the West Island.

https://parlons-en.stm.info/

2 « J'aime »

Based off of the questions the STM has asked, they want licence to

1. Cut the highway express routes. This is a no-brainer, but the STM does want to be able to demonstrate public support for that.
  2. Not send every bus to Fairview. Again, seems quite practical, but it’s a big change the STM wants to get support on. They are also open to comments on how to do this, especially for say which REM station should connect to Lakeshore hospital.
  3. Add or change some routes in the residential parts of Pierrefonds/Dollard-des-Orneaux to get better coverage.
  4. ‘Improve local access’. This I think means improving span and frequency of service, but the question is worded in terms of access to specific destinations, thus likely to inspire some crayon. Anyone living in the West Island, please give some examples of specific (even if completely obvious) corridors that you’d like better access to, so that it’s easy for the STM to just add frequency.
  5. Add more responsive taxis (30 min between call and pick-up) and apps to the call-a-ride service areas.
  6. Figure out what to do with the 216.

Let’s try to make their job easy, provide up-votes on the obvious stuff, and push for span and frequency.

9 « J'aime »

Done. Thanks. I only wrote up one comment, but I agree with all the rest. Interesting that on their map they show Château-Pierrefonds as a bus corridor parallel to Sources, St-Jean, and St-Charles, but don’t consider the area bounded by Château-Pierrefonds, St-Charles, Antoine-Faucon, and Pierrefonds Boulevard as an under-served enclave like the other three zones.

They are probably counting a 500m walking distance as the limit of being adequately served or not identifying any good streets on which to run buses withing that block. In my proposed map above, I added a bus the length of des Cageux, but that was possible only thanks to having the new bus corridor to Kirkland from the end of Antoine-Faucon. In my first draft, I did not have an easy way of sending two bus routes down Antoine-Faucon to turn up both Chateau-Pierrefonds and des Cageux.

I think I would merge your 419 and 212, with the merged line absorbing the southmost part of the northern part of the 219, serving the future ecodistrict and simplifying trips within SADB. I feel for the northmost part of the northern part of the 219 most people could walk to the 212 or use DRT.

Instead of extending de 218 into the Parc-nature, I was thinking merging the southern part of your 219 to a Cap-Saint-Jacques shuttle.

I’m moving more and more towards your thoughts on the 212/419, with some trips short-turning at the McDonald loop. For trips to St. Anne de Bellevue hospital, EXO Presqu’ile buses along des Ancien Combattants could replace the 212, and from anywhere else, it’s not much slower to go through the campuses.

For the northern part of the 219, I’m also agreeing that the dial-a-ride, with the improvements being proposed, could make better sense.

As for the 218, I prefer keeping it going to Cap-Saint-Jacques. Note that only select trips (once per hour at best except in peak summer season) of the 218 would go past Pierrefonds, although this is not readily shown on the map.

For planning purposes, I would keep the 419 and a ecodistrict bus seperate. Given the relatively low-frequency of the REM, either timed transfers or through routing could be implemented.

One question for you, do you want to keep the current 211 routing to downtown? The 211 I’ve drawn more closely follows the existing 200.

1 « J'aime »

I thought fare integration implied bus network integration, but boarding and alighting for exo are still restricted to off-island trips. It’s definitely something that exo and STM should reconsider, but every operators are looking out for their own interests.

I see, something like the 97/11 for Mount-Royal. I think I just expected the Anse-à-l’Orme station to be THE hub for shuttles around l’Anse-à-l’Orme, but Fairview and Kirkland are good too.

I don’t know… IMO the current 211 routing is best left mostly as is until exo2 service improves… if ever. The existing 200 routing is fine, I just don’t know how essential it will be once the REM opens. Hymus did get a lot of new developments in the last years so the old 200 (your 211) could be really useful.

1 « J'aime »

Based on feedback so far from the STM consultation, here’s a third version of the proposed West Island route map.

The 217 has been extended eastward and the 216 and 211 cut back to des Sources. This provides better access to the Trans-Canadienne and better matching of service frequency to need along Frederick Banting.

The 215 and 214 have been rerouted through Westwood in order to connect the temples along St. Regis to Sikhs in Sunnybrooke. As a side effect, access to the Lake St. area is also slightly improved.

I’ve eliminated the routing of the 212 to the REM. I’ve kept it listed as a seperate route, but through routing with the 419 would be possible. I’ve also cut the northern part of the 219, keeping the taxi service in that area.

I’ve replaced bus service along Gouin, using the 208 to do so. This change could be reversed to give residents elsewhere along the 208 want better access to businesses along Pierrefonds.

As for the existing 211, I’m thinking that it might only be useful to run the portion of the route along A20 between Beaconsfield and the Dorval REM station. This is not yet shown on the map.

3 « J'aime »

Via STM.info:

Consultation en cours

C’est le moment de vous exprimer sur la refonte du réseau bus dans les secteurs de l’Ouest-de-l’Île. Il y deux façons de partager vos idées.

1- Inscrivez-vous aux consultations publiques :

2 - Participez en ligne via la plateforme Parlons-en: du 29 septembre au 13 novembre 2022.

Repensons ensemble le réseau bus

Au cours des prochains mois, de grands projets de transport collectif verront le jour. Pensons au REM, au SRB Pie-IX, et dans quelques années, au prolongement de la ligne bleue. La mise en place de ces projets, vos besoins de mobilité ainsi que le développement urbain, influencent la façon dont vous utilisez le service bus. C’est donc le moment idéal de repenser avec vous le réseau pour le rendre encore plus attrayant et adapté à l’évolution de l’île de Montréal.

Une démarche collaborative

Dans le cadre de la refonte du réseau bus, nous vous consultons afin de recueillir vos besoins en mobilité et vos idées sur les parcours bus dans votre secteur. Cette démarche nous permettra de favoriser une mobilité durable sur votre territoire.

Découvrez les activités de consultation publiques de refonte du réseau bus

Plusieurs séances d’informations virtuelles ou consultations ont eu lieu. Voyez les constats pour les secteurs suivants :

2020 :

Le processus de consultations se fait graduellement et l’ensemble des secteurs de la STM est ciblé.

Restez à l’affût des consultations à venir concernant votre territoire !

https://www.stm.info/fr/a-propos/grands-projets/grands-projets-bus/refonte-du-reseau-bus

Why put that new bus sign out now? They should have waited for new route 172 to be in service.

Chicken or the egg situation! I think changing the sign first then adding the service later is better than having a new bus service with no signage. Something similar will happen when the REM opens, I’m surprised these bus signs don’t actually include the REM on it if they plan on stopping at it

3 « J'aime »

I will hypothesize that it is because it’s the first stop for both lines - and closest to the REM station. I don’t think either will go through the REM bus stops at all.

1 « J'aime »

Usually what gets done elsewhere is that they install the new signs before, they put a sleeve on it, and then they remove all the sleeves at once when the new service arrives.

2 « J'aime »