PPU Centre-Ville de Brossard

Like I shared before, I wish there as a focus on making a percentage of the housing co-ops, which would at first cost the same as market housing, but eventually be cheaper (as there isn’t an extra piece of rent on top meant for profit) it will be just for the cost of maintenance. If 30% of the housing built was co-op, which is a lot, it would mean the market housing would need to compete with the cheaper co-op housing, making the prices cheaper for everyone. The problem is Brossard can’t just pay for the co-ops alone, it would have to be organizations to do most of the work, with Brossard and the province, even the federal government helping pay for mostly the construction. Despite there being a housing crisis, I don’t think they care enough for that much investment in housing though

3 « J'aime »

A 2015 idea from spacing magazine for the site

I bet this urban planning idea revolved solely around secteur A, but I find it interesting that the city and even people studying panama seem to focus a lot more on north of the 10 instead of south of the 10. South of the 10, particularly secteur T would be the best to densify because there’s no Taschereau to cross and no bus terminal separating the density from the station. However the north is ‘easier’ since it’s mostly parking and malls.

2 « J'aime »

The Nimby will find something that they can stick on Brossard’s mayor will do everything that they can to have him gone next election.

2 « J'aime »

I can’t see how a room full of city-planners could get together with the express purpose of “creating a green, active, pedestrian-friendly space centred around Station Panama and finally heal the concrete scar that is the Q-134/A-10 intersection”

…and then also come to the conclusion that:

“a REM extension running up and down Taschereau and connecting the communities along the Q-134 axis to Panama would destroy this vision of a connected community”.

If your goal is to make a new downtown for the fastest growing population center on the South Shore, wouldn’t you want it as connected as possible? From the perspective of a Greenfield Parker, I am technically a citizen of Longueuil… but I can count the amount of times I’ve gone to “downtown Longueuil” on one hand.

Brossard is so close and so competitive at providing greenspace, recreation, commercial destinations (shopping, movies, restaurants, etc), service destinations (gym, automotive, biking, etc), and especially groceries.

Introducing an intersection of REM lines, with the CDPQi and QC Gov’s backing seems like an urban development goldmine, and I’m so afraid that Mayor Assaad and her team will tank the REM Rive Sud project in its infancy by continuing to publicly talk about not wanting it (à la REM-de-l’Est).

2 « J'aime »

Le projet est par Lemay

2 « J'aime »

Je suis curieux s’il y a quelques difficultés à commencer ces projets (le zonage est correct, mais peut-être les développeurs manquent l’argent nécessaire à cause des taux d’intérêt?).

J’ai envoyé un courriel aux compagnies pour une mise à jour. Maybe it will work :wink:

2 « J'aime »

I talked with someone working with the city of Brossard, and they said the current plan is still in “presentation” phase basically. So there isn’t any PDF document for the centre-ville plan yet sadly. I really hope something will be made though that goes in more detail, like the Bridge-Bonaventure plan!

4 « J'aime »

Skyline de Brossard

4 « J'aime »

Un message a été fusionné à un sujet existant : Place Panama (Prével + TGTA) - Jusqu’à 30 étages

Une assemblée publique permettra d’expliquer aux citoyens les différents changements qu’implique l’application de cette nouvelle vision. Les citoyens pourront aussi s’exprimer sur ces changements.

L’assemblée aura lieu au Centre socioculturel de Brossard, le 20 juin. Les kiosques d’information seront accessibles de 13h à 17h, alors que l’assemblée présentant la vision et les projets de règlements débutera à 19h.

2 « J'aime »

Portes ouvertes et assemblée publique | Découvrez le Brossard de demain

Modifié il y a 7 heures

La Ville de Brossard organisera des activités afin de présenter les faits saillants des nouvelles normes en matière de construction sur le territoire ainsi que la vision d’aménagement. Il s’agira du moment idéal pour découvrir les principes de développement qui façonneront le nouveau visage de Brossard et s’exprimer sur le sujet.

• Date : jeudi 20 juin 2024
  • Lieu : Centre socioculturel Alphonse-Lepage
  • Heure : 13 h à 17 h — Portes ouvertes avec kiosques d’information19 h à 20 h — Assemblée publique de consultation avec présentation de la vision d’aménagement et des projets de règlements

Il est possible de consulter dès maintenant les panneaux d’information qui seront affichés dans les kiosques d’information lors de l’assemblée.

Pour consulter les projets de règlements : brossard.ca/projets-reglements.

@Michael_A There is a document in the “panneaux d’information” which is the PPU essentially, think this link should be shared in the header (the file is too big)

3 « J'aime »

Les zones qui seront rezonées sont mises en évidence :

8 « J'aime »

20 à 35 étages pour une portion du centre-ville.

5 « J'aime »

On reconnait presque pas le coin dans leur vision de concept. Le terminus est recouvert! :blush:

14 « J'aime »

So much info in this update!

2 « J'aime »

After reviewing these plans, I may be most excited for an increased variety of cycling lanes in the area. Currently Grande Allée has a terrible painted bike gutter for large stretches (where I caught a cyclist getting hit by a car on my dashcam just the other day) but Taschereau is largely lacking.

For a boulevard with such massive shoulders, there really should be safe, separated lanes to get people along this artery.

2 « J'aime »

I’m at the PPU Centre-Ville de Brossard, I’ll update this post as I get more information.

• The map shared on the document is essentially a proposal made by an artist/planner to show what it could be, not what it will be exactly

• You can see the area Prével has around Station Panama, this is essentially finalized and will be what we will see made.

• The area around Champlain Mall is what the city is proposing to Cominar, as Cominar was the one who started this whole project. The city hired an urban planning company to propose putting the larger buildings over the mall instead of in the parking lots initially, with shorter buildings around the mall where is currently parking at some point. Essentially, Cominar made a proposal, the city was like “wow this does not make Brossard look good,” so they paused all developments, released this plan and now developers could follow it

• The main promenade will be pedestrian and bike only. For bikes, they’re prioritizing it being used by commuters too, so what I hope that means is separation (unlike when Mont-Royal is pedestrianized for example)

• Along Taschereau, they’re proposing a tramway. I told them how much funding this would need, and they agree and said how it would take 10+ years for this to go forward. I proposed to them a BRT/SRB to be made in a way that could be retrofitted with trams in the future

• I can’t say too much, but the developer over the former Loblaws is pushing for a slightly higher density that the city is proposing, following a similar vision to the city but trying to get a bit more height (right now on Pelletier the regulations is only 2 floors which they find way too low and I have to agree) CORRECTION: The mayor of Brossard told me they AREN’T pushing for height, and instead pushing for width, they want almost all their land for buildings, when regulations are requiring public space that’s connected. I told the developer they should talk with Prével who works well with integration of buildings (even the mayor agreed, she was saying they have great proposals).

• Unrelated to the PPU specifically, boulevard de Rome is going to be torn up and completely redone sometime soon. The city plans to completely redesign it to no longer be a large 6 lane boulevard, and instead human scale and even possibly roundabouts… to be continued

• I got to talk with the infamous Claudio Benedetti, he seemed very bothered by the project, saying how they’re towers that will block views (of what, I’m not sure), and how security around Station Panama should be talked about more. Every other politician I talked to refused to talk to him, but told me how horrible and dated his views are. If I were to give my personal opinion, the he spoke sounded a little bit insane. He used a lot of strong language to push threat mongering ideas which we know Journal de Montreal pushed (with their articles against the PPU and higher density). To go with this, he happens to live right near the REM entrance (I’m not sure why he showed me his home but okay), so we can see where his motives are (quite NIMBY based).

That’s all for now!

13 « J'aime »

It’s odd that they’re depicting the tram staying on Taschereau rather than having a small tunnelled connection to the bus terminal and Panama station.

3 « J'aime »