Ouvrages d'art Tronçon Central - Discussion

On va faire quoi avec le message de cette pancarte ? Déconstruire le REM déjà en service ?

5 « J'aime »

I want to counter with the same pictogram, except there are a realistic amount of car lanes. Maybe some exhaust.

3 « J'aime »

Include all the maimed and killed pedestrians and cyclists too.

2 « J'aime »

It’s not the same issue, but when I lived in Pointe St Charles the community was “enjoying” a small but loud population of NIMBYs that were fighting tooth and nail against véloroutes and bike lanes.

Now… In practice, anyone who lives in the Pointe would probably tell you – even if they don’t bike – that PSC’s proximity to the Lachine Canal makes it an incredibly well-connected neighbhourhood for cyclists.

On bike you are: minutes from Griffintown, minutes from Atwater Market/St. Henri, minutes from Verdun/Wellington Street… As a historically working class anglophone community, the Pointe benefits greatly from its Charlevoix metro station and its bike lanes, yet small, vocal groups try to turn the community insular and oppose these measures.

This is a transit option which cruises through PSC territory while providing no obvious connective benefit to them (don’t tell me all the ways it’s good for them – I am already drinking the REM Kool-aid). This may be just the righteous cause that they’ve been waiting for to rally the “we” against the “them”.

1 « J'aime »

Complaints of noise made by Montreal’s new light-rail train network

“Being woken up in the morning. It’s not is not pleasant,” says Geoffrey Stanley, a Griffintown resident, about the amount of noise made by Montreal’s new light-rail train network or the REM. Felisha Adam reports.

Montrealers complaining about noise from new light-rail train network

Photo of REM line From the building Geoffrey Stanley live’s in. (Photo Credit: Felisha Adam, CityNews)

By Felisha Adam
Posted Jul 31, 2023, 4:32PM EDT.
Last Updated Jul 31, 2023, 7:46PM EDT.

Some Montrealers in Griffintown are voicing their complaints. They say the noise made by the city’s new light-rail train network or the REM is impacting their daily lives.

“Being woken up in the morning. It’s not is not pleasant. It’s not a good time,” said Geoffrey Stanley, Griffintown residents.

“I was enthusiastic about it at the beginning, especially with the promise that it would be the new technology, that it would be something that would be silent. But unfortunately, that’s not really what we got. I feel like we were sold false promises.”

Complaints of noise made by Montreal’s new light-rail train network

Stanley says he informed CDPQ Infra which developed the REM of how loud the train network was when they began testing last year in November, in response he says he was dismissed.

“It runs 20 hours a day. It starts between five and 5:30 in the morning and runs all the way until one or 1:30 in the morning,” he explained. “I don’t open my doors or windows anymore when I’m indoors, like I, I can’t do it. It’s it’s too loud.”

Geoffrey Stanley (Photo Credit: Felisha Adam, CityNews)

The feeling is the same for Eddie Tkalec who is also a resident of Griffintown.

“We haven’t even sat on our balcony. Yet this year it’s that bad,” said Tkalec.

“Listening to these REMs going by for 20 hours a day. It wakes us up in the morning. Even with our windows close, it’s it’s really becoming very tolerable. As a citizen, it’s starting to affect our mental health.”

At the Lachine Canal, the REM runs right above the street, and the noise level made by the train when it goes by ranges from 75 to 90 decibels. Far higher than the 55 decibels recommended by the World Health Organization. All this right in distance of apartment buildings.

REM near Lachine Canal. (Photo Credit: Felisha Adam, CityNews)

For Natalie who lives on Peel she can hear the REM go by daily, and while she says it’s a part of living downtown, she can understand how it might impact some.

“I’m hearing the train from there,’ she explained. “For someone who likes more tranquility, it is no longer really the ideal place for them.”

Jean-Vincent Lacroix a spokesperson for CDPQ Infra says some measures have been put in place to counter the noise – including sound absorbers on the tracks – and that work will continue in certain areas that the REM runs that pose noise problems.

We have really three sensitive sectors in Ile De Soeurs, Griffin town, and Point St.Charles. So we’re really working on that three sectors and to kind of look up different solution that just want us mixed together to limit the noise as much as possible,” said Lacroix

But Stanley says, “I don’t think that these modifications they made into the tracks is going to be enough. Might have dropped it a few disciples. If it goes down to 75 DB, that’s too loud. I’m getting these 32 times an hour. So in my opinion, they can do a lot more.”

Honestly I’m growing tired of these complainers. It’s really not that noisy, I grew up under a flight path where a plane lands every 2 minutes, all of them from Europe. I didn’t realize its noisy until I moved out and went back to my parents. Guess what? Via Rail trains have been passing there for decades now. They bought cheap condos, facing rails and majically, after 1.5 years of it being tested. It’s now an issue.

Media is just trying to get people to read their article for the sake of advertising profits.

9 « J'aime »

Maybe their condos don’t have double-pane windows?

Most of the complaints come from buildings built by the same realestate company.

Some people living in the Hexagone on the Wellington street side mentionned on Facebook that they didn’t renew their lease because of the noise from the traffic on Wellington.

9 « J'aime »

Both at Nun’s Island and Gare Centrale the escalators are down. This means 100% of the escalators on the REM don’t work, I’m kind of surprised they don’t just have someone going through and fixing them every day

1 « J'aime »

They probably do. I would not be surprised at all if they had peoples standing by just in case something went wrong during the first few days. If something is going to go wrong, its probably going to be during the first few days and weeks.

3 « J'aime »

Les étudiantes et étudiants du cours d’art de Concordia sont en train d’installer leurs oeuvres éphémères sur la place des Aiguilleurs et la Promenade Smith. Le thème est Art public et développement durable

J’ai parlé avec une des étudiantes qui m’a dit qu’il y a 4 oeuvres créées par 4 équipes.

L’installation devrait se terminer vendredi

Les oeuvres sont plus ou moins avancées. Difficile de dire c’est quoi :slight_smile:

Oeuvre 1 : des étudiantes et étudiants étaient en train de monter et peinturer la plateforme de bois à l’arrière du camion

Oeuvre 2 : un bac de plantation. L’installation est quasiment terminée, il reste à peinturer

Oeuvre 3 : Un structure faite de paille et d’argile

Oeuvre 4 : on dirait des manches de rateau plantées dans le sol.

Le vernissage devrait avoir lieu le 30 août (dernier jour de cours). C’est le REM qui l’organise. Surveillez les communications

Les oeuvres seront exposées jusqu’en octobre.

La place des Aiguilleurs devrait aussi servir de lieu d’exposition en 2024. Après, ça devrait bouger dans d’autres lieux près du REM

Info sur le cours donné cette année à Concordia : Art public et durabilité - Concordia University

Info sur le volet Oeuvres temporaires du programme d’art public du REM : Dévoilement du programme d’art public du REM | REM

9 « J'aime »

Sabotage

3 « J'aime »

https://www.reddit.com/r/montreal/comments/15l7pqw/yo_whats_up_with_the_rem/

https://www.reddit.com/r/montreal/comments/15l85ln/its_all_good/

2 « J'aime »

Groupe extrémiste anti-bruit de la ville Mont-royal ? :laughing:

7 « J'aime »

It’s just CEM-E being “pro environment!” (this is a joke)

6 « J'aime »

We probably should not be drawing too many conclusions until the police has completed its inquiry. Although it does look rather suspicious, we don’t know for sure who is responsible. If anything, this is going to contribute to further discredit those who are against the REM. Its becoming clearer by the day that they are a very vocal minority.

2 « J'aime »

The good thing is that repairs shouldn’t take all too long - logistics won’t be an issue.
They were in the process of installing rails between the Mount Royal tunnel and Canora when the fire happened, so they’ll just have to shift work crews up north a little bit.
Hopefully a few weeks worth of delay maximum

2 « J'aime »

Oui tres très louche.

The crew installing the rail and installing the fibre optics are most likely 2 different teams.

Quelques centaines de milliers de $$ en dommages

According to the article, rails were also damaged, which likely means a lot of heavy equipment is necessary. The fire could’ve displaced the ballast under the rails and moved some of the ties under pressure, which might’ve displaced them. Rails aren’t held down by anything but their own weight to the ground.