Graffitis et tags

Discussion sur les graffitis, les tags, la propreté urbaine et le vandalisme à Montréal

Image par brgfx sur Freepik

3 « J'aime »

Those tags are very ugly, similar to the ugly tags in LA.

3 « J'aime »

What I was thinking. They should definitely do something about these tags sooner or later…

2 « J'aime »

Is the standard solution to simply clean the walls often?

I’m thinking movement detectors that are directly connected to the police, so that they can catch them in the act instead of after the fact.

6 « J'aime »

I hate tags, but ‘motion-triggered-detectors-connected-to-police-that-would-respond-on-the-spot’ isn’t practical. As ugly as they may be, they are still a minor mischief in the grand scheme of criminality in a big city. We cannot expect police to prioritize this problem considering everything else that occurs.

Maybe we could train service dogs to go after paint can?

Release the hounds!

7 « J'aime »

La seul solution, autre que de nettoyer constamment, se serait de végétaliser le mur, mais je ne sais pas si ce sera fait… Ou même faisable à cette endroit étant donné que c’est collé sur les voies ferrés.

6 « J'aime »

Booo, calm down with wanting to ruin the lives of local street artists, sending people, and many kids, into a a carceral hell that can ruin their lives just because you don’t like their artstyle.

2 « J'aime »

I can’t tell if that’s sarcasm. “Carceral hell”? A $200 fine and forcing them to clean (or to pay to have cleaned) their vandalism isn’t exactly a stint at San Quentin.

18 « J'aime »

I guess my initial comment came out as purely repressive. I live in Sherbrooke, and the solution is to designate some walls where this type of art is allowed. It mostly gets rid of the problem.

1 « J'aime »

C’est encore moins que ça, c’est entre 100$ et 300$ plus des frais de service selon un petit google.
C’est sûre qu’il doit y avoir un équilibre et un minimum d’application de la loi.

En se moment à Montréal j’ai l’impression qu’il y a un sentiment de confiance qu’il n’y aura aucune conséquence…

3 « J'aime »

I mean, in this case aren’t they imposing their art style on others whether they like it or not? My building got tagged the other week and now we have to pay to clean it (either through the city taxes or through the condo funds) have to pay to remove it because I would suspect that most people generally don’t want their homes or communities tagged.

5 « J'aime »

Par rapport à la photo, mis à part des gens qui taggent leur signature sur un viaduc par vanité, est-ce qu’il y a de l’art dans ça?

Il y a effectivement du bon art de rue. J’en vois pas sur la photo.

6 « J'aime »

Maybe it’s best they grow ivy or some other type of climbing plant/flower to prevent the tagging. It would also be ecologically sound. If we’ll maintained it could look nice. I believe Mexico City does something similar to their highways or Metro (I forget which).

You definitely don’t want to grow ivy anywhere near the REM. That can easily grow 3 meters a year. Ivy is cute, but it is a heck of a lot of maintenance. They would end up having to cut them twice a year to make sure that they don’t get into the catenary. The area isn’t exactly accessible, and it would interrupt service while that maintenance is performed. The leaves would also end up contaminating the ballast. Ideally, you want ballast to remain as clean as possible so that water can flow through and away from the tracks.

1 « J'aime »

Pour vrai, les corridors ferroviaires c’est presque toujours un endroit de prédilection des taggeurs. La raison est simple: de grandes surfaces, souvent visibles de loin et avec peu de chance de se faire déranger. Je dis pas que c’est inévitable ou qu’il faille ne rien faire, mais c’est la même chose presque partout: à proximité de la gare du Nord, n’importe où à proximité d’une station à NYC, Porta Garibaldi à Milan, etc

Personnellement, je mettrais l’énergie sur la propreté des stations avant tout.

7 « J'aime »

And yet, even when “artists” do “express themselves” near railways in Japan, it’s cleaned up within a day.

In Singapore, there is no “artistic” vandalism. There are cameras, though. And fines. Fines are a very effective deterrent. For all the bad rap that Singapore gets as being a very strict, police state, it is one of the most pleasant places to walk around on the planet. You do not see police everywhere, you do not see security everywhere. One time, I was walking under Esplanade Drive along the pedestrian path, and there was a group of young skateboarders using the inclined walls of the underpass as a ramp, and I thought that was unusual for Singapore. Then out of nowhere three or four plainclothes security agents walked into the underpass from either end and went to “speak to” the youths. There was no commotion, the kids picked up their boards, and left on foot. There are at least 15 amazing public skate parks in Singapore, a city that’s about the same size as Montreal (with Laval), with one of them about six blocks away from the Esplanade Drive underpass.

5 « J'aime »

C’est sur qu’une plaque financière comme Singapour va toujours miser sur la propreté de l’environnement bâti (comme la Suisse, wink-wink nudge-nudge). Pas sur que c’est un bon comparatif pour Montréal par contre. Quand on se compare avec des villes équivalentes en population en Amérique du Nord (genre Seattle) c’est vrai que la ville est sale, mais pas tant plus.

Maintenant, quoi faire? Montréal est déjà la grande ville canadienne avec le plus de policiers par habitant, soit 223/100 000 habitants en 2018 Tableau 5 Services de police municipaux desservant une population de 100 000 habitants et plus, Canada, 2018 (statcan.gc.ca). Pas sur que la solution c’est d’en rajouter encore plus.

2 « J'aime »

Yeah tagging homes is generally against graffers etiquette, public infrastructure is fair game though

Is there another type of greenery that could be used instead? Like I mentioned, Mexico City does this so it must have been feasible for them. Occasional trimming would be cheaper than removing tags.

2 « J'aime »