Développement du secteur Fairview

Sigh… this fighting over a necessary development and a TOD is so pointless. But as I always say, if they complain about rising house prices, they just have to look in the mirror.

8 « J'aime »

People in Pointe-Claire are predominantly homeowners, I can’t imagine them being hugely concerned with rising prices unless they’re trying to move.

4 « J'aime »

And as a seller, you very much want your property value to be as inflated as possible.

5 « J'aime »

Tim Thomas really said that blocking development on a parking lot protects the environment. :melting_face:

4 « J'aime »

This man I genuinely hilarious. They’re really throwing everything at this.

Hopefully they get everything approved soon so they can get building!

2 « J'aime »

That’s some durn high quality journalism right there:

The controversial move leaves part of Fairview Shopping Centre’s parking lot vulnerable to construction.

10 « J'aime »

Hoping Lowes Canada finally merges this sad little Reno Depot with the equally sad little Rona l’Entrepôt at the Pierrefonds location 3 km away, and CF can start phases 2 and 3 in fairly short order.

3 « J'aime »

If they do, I hope they keep a scaled down version of the store. Kind of like BMR’s La Shop which is the essentials so people can get their more common purchases locally.

As far as 2 and 3 go, CF has two strategies. Keep your head down and hopefully people get used to it and progressively add more, or rush through it before anything is built so that people who clutch their pearls at anything but a SFH don’t have something to point to to stoke fear.

3 « J'aime »

Here is the link to the new interim control by law that will be voted on in May

Christian Marcotte, who has lived in Pointe-Claire for 55 years, is also against the decision. “It’s a tsunami of densification,”she said.

“We moved here for the green space,” resident Nasr El Dabee told CTV News.

… we’re talking about a parking lot next to a metro station :neutral_face:

14 « J'aime »

It’s really at this point “I don’t like looking at condos”.

People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that a project approved in the parking automatically means the forest will be razed completely and condos built atop.

I think it’s totally fair for the city to think about the forest and to decide how much, if anything, will be built on it. The parking lot on the other hand, I see no reasonable justification.

6 « J'aime »

Two city councilors that were in favor of exempting Cadillac Fairview from the freeze have now publicly stated on their Facebook pages that they will now vote against CF being excluded from the freeze. The Fairview development will be dead after this Tuesdays city council meeting. They gave there reasoning on their Facebook pages, but I don’t buy it. My understanding is they changed their decision because they couldn’t take the consent harassment from the NIMBY and Save Fairview Forest clans. Democracy at its finest :slight_smile:

1 « J'aime »

I don’t know, I honestly think that they are scared of CF legal team… If they go back on their word it is going to be a costly court battle that they have a good chance of loosing.

1 « J'aime »

@WI_GUY Can you tell us which City Councillors you are refering to? I found Tara Stainforth. Who is the second one? Thanks

Ils peuvent simplement attendre le nouveau plan d’urbanisme aussi, sauf si leur projet en déroge de manière dramatique.

De toute manière, si on veut un bon TOD, cela dépend beaucoup plus de ce plan que d’un seul projet qui a une dérogation. J’espère qu’on pourra réellement profiter de la présence de la station pour faire un quartier soutenable. S’il y a des gens du forum dans le secteur, impliquez vous dans les consultations! On voit bien que les citoyens ont du pouvoir, pour le meilleur comme pour le pire!

AJOUT:
Je suis allé voir la planification préliminaire du plan, au moins Pointe-Claire reconnaît les densités minimums du PMAD pour cette zone:

2 « J'aime »

Ce n’est pas la fin du projet, mais ce n’est pas la meilleure des nouvelles. Je ne sais pas ce qu’il en est pour les membres du conseil, mais le gel est un geste avoué du maire Thomas pour ne pas densifier Pointe-Claire. C’est au cœur de sa plateforme.

2 « J'aime »

Oui, c’est évident que c’est une préoccupation de Pointe-Claire. Mais je trouve le sujet intéressant, car il y a une densité minimum imposée par le PMAD qui vient un peu brouiller ces intentions. Je crois que Pointe-Claire n’a pas le choix de se conformer à ce plan, si je comprends ce qui est écrit ici:

Maintenant, à savoir si 60 logements par hectare permet de réaliser un projet intéressant pour CF, c’est à voir.

3 « J'aime »

@shabarh, the other city councilor is Eric Stork.

1 « J'aime »

@Michael_A
J’ai assisté à plusieurs réunions municipales, l’opposition au projet est très bien organisée. Ceux qui aimeraient voir le projet réussir n’y assistent pas. Je dis que le projet est mort parce que les conseillers municipaux ont cédé à la pression. Les consultations publiques seront remplies d’opposants et d’écologistes, à mon avis ce sera une farce

Un véritable écologiste sera en faveur de la densité, et même plus de densité pour sauver un boisé, à mon avis!

8 « J'aime »