Train à Grande Fréquence (corridor Québec-Toronto)

Il apporte des bons points je trouve quand même.

Not saying that Pierre Le Fevre is another Siemens shill, but it’s interesting to see a couple of ex-VIA Rail senior staff coming out against high speed rail.

4 « J'aime »

Il apporte effectivement des points intéressants mais je trouve que

1. Lorsqu’il dit que les conditions ne sont pas là pour un tgv entre Montréal et Toronto je trouve cela particulier notamment compte tenus du nombre d’études et rapports documentant la pertinence de ce mode dans le corridor.

2. Lorsqu’il explique qu’on commence par un tgf et ensuite peut-être par la suite un tgv, ce n’est pas aussi simple. C’est un point qui a été longuement discuter dans ce forum qu’on ne peut pas juste « upgrade » les voies afin de faire un tgv. C’est vrai que la rentabilité à court termes sera plus importante mais 4h20 entre Montréal et Toronto avec le tgf ce n’est pas vraiment attrayant.

7 « J'aime »

On s’entend qu’il parle d’un scénario 100% TGV, pas d’un modèle hybride avec des segments conventionnels et des segments à grande vitesse là où c’est possible à un coût raisonnable. Plusieurs voix supportent ce scénario plus flexible et moins coûteux. Pas obligé de tout peindre en noir et blanc.

Par contre, avec le tracé proposé actuellement passant par Ottawa et Peterborough, j’ai hâte de voir si un corridor à grande vitesse intéressant pourra être trouvé. C’est un territoire passablement plus accidenté que le corridor longeant le fleuve et le lac Ontario.

Donc un TGF hybride dans l’axe proposé avec segments de grande vitesse Toronto-Ottawa-Montréal-Québec, et un TGV Toronto-Kingston-Montréal en parallèle? Maybe in my dreams…

2 « J'aime »

Oui les points sont débatables et peuvent avoir de la pertinence, mais seulement si on regarde sur un horizon très court. Avec la population grandissante du pays, incluant dans l’axe MTL-TO, les changements climatiques, et l’inconnu du futur, il faut penser maintenant pour dans 15, 20 ans et au futur. Oui le TGF pur serait aussi plus rapide à implanter, mais ses avantages arriveraient rapidement à un peak.

Le “demi-TGV”, je pense, serait le minimum, le bon équilibre entre les avantages apportés et les coûts/délais. Si un TGV pur n’est pas envisageable.

7 « J'aime »

It’s this segment in particular that’s at risk of being under-designed for the sake of compromise of an hybrid solution. The true sensible “hybrid” solution is to break down the project in two in a first phase;

• True HSR between Toronto and Montreal.
  • Enhancements to conventional service to Quebec.

It’s understandably less fruitful politically, butt a chimerical line which costs more than a conventional line with no real added value is not a good idea.

3 « J'aime »

Fully agree that the TGV all the way to Québec is really unecessary. There would be much more added value for less cost if we simply buy/build dedicated tracks to make it reliable and just make it so we can run the Chargers at full speed at least some of the time. Then, throw a couple billion to connect smaller cities to Montréal by rail such as Sherby, SJSR and Granby to make it more politically popular.

7 « J'aime »

The thing is… The one location where you can actually build a true HSR at a reasonable price is between Québec and Montreal. The line is mostly straight, does not have all that many crossings per kilometer and is mostly in areas that aren’t heavily urbanised.

The segment between Montreal and Ottawa isn’t all that bad, but the segment between Ottawa and Toronto has a heck of a lot more crossings and does indeed have some rather mountainous segments as some have pointed out. There are also quite a large number of rivers, lakes and swamps. Being in the middle of nowhere makes expropriation less of a concern, but it also makes it more costly to maintain due to how remote it would be.

Also of concern is the fact that it would be crossing rather wild countryside. This means that things like beavers become a concern as they do love to block culverts since they make for easy dam sites. That’s a real hazard for a rail line. It would raise water levels, which creates the potential for water on the track and soil erosion. It is one of the reason why I think that it really should be routed closer to the St-Laurence and Great Lakes.

8 « J'aime »

I thought the segment between Montreal and Quebec had better geographical conditions for a HSR in the sense that it is mostly flat and straight for the whole segment…

The segment between Toronto and Montreal cannot be a full HSR for the whole segment because of the land and curves, no? It would cost a lot of money to create all the infrastructures necessary for this segment to be HSR for the whole segment.

That is why they have identified segments between Toronto and Quebec where it would be possible without too many big infrastructures.

Guys, guys, come on; Quebec to Montreal HSR or quasi-HSR is the equivalent of a REM extension to Chambly. It’s not because it’s easy compared to other project that it makes sense. Enhancing the service between Quebec and Montreal is fine, especially if more local rail services can benefit, but the rationale can’t be “let’s scope creep and overbuild where it’s easy and unnecessary and not have enough money to put where most people would benefit the most”.

1 « J'aime »

Well, that’s exactly the thing. The difference between the price of an HSR and HFR line between Québec and Montreal won’t be that huge, but in the wilderness of Ontario, that’s an entirely different story. Scope creep in Ontario could escalate the costs very quickly.

Alstom presentation in in the Fall 2022 advocating for a hybrid TGV :

Politically, it might be hard to explain to the province of Quebec that there would be no High Speed Rail on its territory even though the province has the best conditions to receive it past Montreal, no?

7 « J'aime »

tout dépend du prix**. Si le prix est bon, pourquoi pas un TGV entre Québec et Montréal ? Le scope est le suivant : train entre ces deux grandes villes. La mise en œuvre dépend entièrement du prix.

** Si la différence entre TGV et TGF pour Québec - Montréal n’est que ~1 milliard, ça ne vaut pas la peine de construire un TGF. ce n’est pas comme s’il y avait une possibilité de changement une fois construit (sérieusement, quiconque suggère que de futures mises à niveau sont une possibilité… lol)

5 « J'aime »

« Quand je me place dans les souliers du contribuable, ce que je constate, c’est qu’un TGV, c’est un excellent produit dans certaines circonstances. Mais ces circonstances-là, dans le corridor Québec-Toronto, elles ne sont pas réunies. Ce n’est pas le bon produit actuellement », affirme Pierre Le Fevre, qui a été conseiller sénior à la planification et la stratégie de la direction de VIA Rail pendant cinq ans, jusqu’en 2019.

Intéressant… quels sont ses arguments?!

Or, selon M. Le Fevre, le fait est que « seulement 14 % des voyages sont interprovinciaux » dans le corridor visé par un éventuel TGV. « Tout le reste se ferait à l’intérieur de chaque province.

C’est un peu illusoire comme argument, non? C’est bien un pourcentage, mais c’est le chiffre nominal qui compte. Aussi, combien de compagnies aériennes se battent pour désservir ce 14%, et combien de voitures s’embouteillent sur les autoroutes pour ce 14%?

De plus, les trajets comme Montréal-Québec, Ottawa-Toronto, Toronto-Windsor, etc. ne sont pas comptabilisés dans son 14%, alors l’argument ne vaut pas grand chose au final.

Un, c’est fantastique à 500 kilomètres, mais en bas de 300, l’avantage est vraiment moindre », juge-t-il.

Montréal-Québec en 1h30 vs 3h, je trouve que c’est assez avantageux merci.

D’après l’homme d’affaires, « chaque année sans nouveau service coûte de l’argent aux contribuables », puisque VIA Rail « coûte chaque année environ 300 millions au gouvernement fédéral pour rester en vie ». Avec un TGF, « ils feraient de l’argent et pourraient devenir profitables », persiste le principal intéressé.

Le nouveau projet n’est-il pas voué à une autre entité distinct de VIA? Il me semble avoir lu cela quelque part.

« Je ne suis pas du tout anti-TGV, mais ce que je dis, c’est de choisir le bon produit pour le bon moment. Tu commences avec ton TGF. Et après ça, si tu veux faire un TGV, tu en fais un aussi. Mais il faut faire au plus court », ajoute M. Le Fevre.

Comme plusieurs l’ont mentionné, on ne gradue pas d’un TGF à un TGV simplement. Cet argument en soit devrait donner un coup à sa crédibilité en tant qu’acteur.

Bref, je sens qu’il milite pour une entité (VIA ou Siemens) avec un but précis pour qui le TGV n’est pas désiré.

Personnellement le débat d’implémenter le TGF/TGV sur quel(s) segments devrait avoir un aspect de financement pour bien évaluer par les parties qui sont vraiment responsable.

Je pense à un financement du genre:

• Federal 40% - Provincial 60% pour le segment Québec-Montréal
  • Federal 70% - Provincial 30% pour le segment Montréal-Toronto
  • Federal 40% - Provincial 60% pour le segment Toronto-Windsor

Les chiffres en tant que tel ne sont ne sont pas importants, c’est le fait qu’une (et une seule) des parties prenantes soit vraiment le preneur de décision. Comme cela, les provinces seront impliqués et responsable de leur segment intra-provincial, et ultimement seront responsable du choix de vitesse. Inversement, s’il y a un TGF pour Montréal-Toronto, on n’aura que le Fédéral à blâmer à l’unisson.

Si le fédéral paie les 3 segments, il se peint dans le coin et pourra difficilement argumenter des différences de choix et ne pas se faire accuser de favoritisme (ex: TGV pour Montreal-Quebec, mais TGF pour Toronto-Windsor).

7 « J'aime »

Even though I agree a HSR is nowhere near as relevant in the Montreal-Quebec segment as it is in the Toronto-Montreal segment, I wouldn’t say it’s as irrelevant as the REM to Chambly. It would certainly offer an option more competitive with cars than the ridiculous 3h they are predicting with their HFR… I wouldn’t support a pure HSR corridor there given the excessively high costs, but as the Alstom proposal pointed out, most of the route outside of the mains cities is fairly straightforward and easily amenable to HSR. If the price to get >200km/h speed there is not that much higher than to get conventional rail, then I suspect it will pay off in increased attractiveness.

I would be interested to see a more detailed breakdown of the route and comparative costs. I suspect the large premium associated with HSR is disproportionately attributable to the city segments. That being said, I recall some earlier figures mentioning the Montreal-Quebec segment could account for 40% of the overall budget. Hopefully that was mostly because of Montreal and not the “simple” rural portions.

2 « J'aime »

There are so many elements of that proposition that puzzle me.

I understand that the section between Ottawa and Smith’s Falls could accommodate 200km/h. In fact, there are mostly flat fields (and few lakes) in that area and a HSR could probably be built from a geographical point of view. I guess the 200km/h limit estimate has to do with the roads and expropriations more than the topography. Maybe the added cost to get >200km/h would be excessive for the benefit it would bring, but obviously I don’t know.

What I find surprising is the 200-300km/h estimate for the segment between Smith’s Falls and Peterborough. It crosses the Frontenac Arch, which is basically an isthmus of the canadian shield connecting to the Adirondack in New York state. The topography is reminiscent of most of the canadian shield, with a multitude of lakes and hills. After having paddled the entire Rideau Canal from Kingston to Ottawa, I am surprised that they seem to think it would be easy to find a very straight and flat path to accommodate a HSR without a ton of work.

What I find most depressing about the Alstom proposal is that they seem to consider that the portion between Toronto and Peterborough would be too challenging to aim easily for >144km/h. I hope some solution could be found. Or else, just go through Kingston along the lake and river and give an antenna to Ottawa… (I wished)

The current Montreal - Ottawa alignment passes directly through several small villages and has several curves. The worse of the curves are between Moose Creek and the current junction north of Saint-Polycarpe. It probably isn’t worth it to try to straighten out the track along that segment.

If we did decide to do something about it, the best option would probably be to simply abandon the existing segment between the 2 previously named settlements and build a 9km link from Moose Creek to the CP alignment.

1 « J'aime »

Une chose est sûre, si un TGV coute trop cher présentement pour toutes les raisons énumérées, ça coutera encore plus cher si on attend et qu’on doit trouver un énième corridor entre les villes parce que le TGF prend déjà un bon spot.

10 « J'aime »

For Montréal-Québec, there’s two big steps-up in cost.
The first is in electrification vs. diesel traction. The line will not have enough demand for more than about 1 train per hour, so the operating cost difference between these is minimal, but the capital cost is not. That’s about 1 billion right there, before accounting for differences in track standards.
The second potential cost driver is the use of single vs. double track. Double track will more than double costs as the existing single trackbed and structures can otherwise be used along many segments.

A 200 km/h service can do Québec-Laval in 1h50 minutes, with passing tracks at Trois-Rivières, around Portneuf, and south of Joliette. To me, that seems like an easy to operate useful service to design.

The question I have is then whether the cost of rehabilitating the north shore line is worth it in comparison to a similar effort on the south shore, say building new track through Victoriaville and Plessiville to serve a larger population and speed up the slowest segments of that line. With upgrades and dedicated track between St.-Hyacinthe and Levis, that could be as fast to Québec from Gare Centrale as the north shore, with more stops serving more people in between and at comparable or possibly lower cost. If the money is there, I’d still look at doing the north shore project.

1 « J'aime »