Station Fairview-Pointe-Claire

Je serais personnellement à l’aise avec une approche similaire à la station Angrignon dont l’une des façades débouche directement sur le parc.

3 « J'aime »

Je suis pas sur si c’est bien cette station vu qu’elles se ressemblent un peu toutes

5 « J'aime »

C’est bien cette station (… située à l’intersection de l’Avenue Fairview et de la voie de service de l’A40-O et à côté du CF Fairview, à Pointe-Claire :upside_down_face:).

3 « J'aime »

Via les médias sociaux du REM :

5 « J'aime »

I wonder if projection mapping could help discourage graffiti, but also make space around the station more vibrant.

2 « J'aime »

The external structure appears to be complete.
I hope one day ARTM could build a tramway on Saint-Jean Boulevard that connect Cedar park exo station - Fairview REM station - DDO

17 « J'aime »

Excellent pics! And yes, I’ve mentioned before that a lower-capacity rail system forming a loop in the West Island linking the exo stations close to Sources and St-Jean with their REM stations and up to Pierrefonds boulevard. We can dream, right? :smile:

3 « J'aime »

Thank you :slight_smile: Totally agree with you! I think in the future, ARTM could lower the frequency of buses that connect West Island and downtown (Cote-Vertu & Lionel-Groulx). But invest more on a lower-capacity rail system (or high-frequency buses at minimum) to reach the passangers from various residential areas and bring them to rem/exo station.
Especially as there are more and more condos on both sides of Hymus, the current buses lines are already fully loaded during the rush hours.

1 « J'aime »

I’m with you on that it makes sense to cut bus service to cote vertu and improve bus service going to the REM stops; but for the buses that go to lionel groulx (notably 211, 405, and 411) it’s worth mentioning that the REM is potentially significantly slower than the buses simply because of how hard it is to get to the stations when coming from the south (bus lanes are unlikely to solve a “huge detour” problem, the solution is unfortunately gonna be expensive (i.e. overpasses) and thus unlikely to be sought).

Travel time to detour to the REM is not that much less than the travel time to stay on A20 and go to lionel anyways so it’s not like the STM is gonna be saving loads of cash at the expense of a slightly slower commutes for people either…

3 « J'aime »

Even just a BRT on Saint-Charles, Saint-Jean, des Sources and Pierrefonds could do wonders by speeding up the bus lines within the West Island.

7 « J'aime »

:100: C’est certain. Le problème demeure que les municipalités et les arrondissements ne collaborent pas entre eux pour la planification et la rénovation des infrastructures. Ainsi, même si l’un décide d’élaborer des voies réservées au milieu de son boulevard principal, l’autre ira de l’avant et construira plutôt des trottoirs plus larges ou une piste cyclable ou un terre-plein gazonné. This is something that the CMM and the ARTM should have complete control over, with the backing of the provincial government. Very few roadworks projects are undertaken anymore without financial commitment from the superior levels of government, so they should be able to have some say in planning for the future of these roadways.

5 « J'aime »

A prime example that gives me grief is the A440 right of way. Quebec essentially gifted it to Montreal, and would likely pay for most of the infrastructure when it’s developed. But the central city has decided what it thinks is best for the borough, and will only develop just over 1 km of bus lane from Antoine-Faucon to Sainte-Marie. The provincial government should step in and say that the entire area needs more from the A440 ROW than just a bus lane along a portion of it. But as I said, I grow more cynical every day in this city, and that’s never going to happen.

5 « J'aime »

Dans le cadre de mon projet de maitrise, qui portait sur le développement du transport collectif à Montréal, j’avais proposé un SRB pour le West Island qui prenait cette forme :

8 « J'aime »

Tramway is overkill for Pointe-Claire and DDO. A bus with a 24-hours 7-days-a-week dedicated lane would be more appropriate.

3 « J'aime »

We could do that, sure, but ultimately off-peak traffic’s not the reason buses are bad here. Having lived here my whole life, I can’t think of a single time since the pandemic that the buses were slow because of heavy traffic outside of rush hour (and we already have rush hour lanes on sources and part of st jean, which could be extended to the rest of st jean and to cover st charles i guess).

Before pandemic, there used to be a bottleneck around the pierrefonds/gouin intersection but they put a 24/7 bus lane for that specific stretch so that’s solved.

Buses here are bad because of the low frequency, torturous/masochistic transfers, excessive number of stops (stopping every 30s on 68 during busy times while cars fly past you at 50-70kph is not particularly fun), and detours to get to certain destinations (fairview and dorval terminuses are particularly annoying to get to). Off-peak traffic is a complete non-issue if you ask me.

I know that the fact that many bus lanes are rush-hour only is a sore spot for many people, but for this chunk of the island I feel that it’s appropriate to have rush-hour only lanes. I’d say if we maybe extend the hours slightly, say to 6-10am and 3-7.30pm to cover the full rush hour, perhaps even restrict the carpooling to 3+ (or just remove the carpool exception entirely), and add more rush hour lanes to cover the missing parts (rest of st jean and all of st charles especially) we’d largely eliminate traffic as a factor for slow buses here, then we can focus on different aspects like frequency, transfers, etc

3 « J'aime »

I feel like Exo1 would be better for those trips if it had better frequency all day.

3 « J'aime »

In general yes, if exo1 has a similar off-peak frequency as DM did back in the day (1hr off peak weekdays, 1-2hr off peak weekends; service till past midnight) it’d be able to replace most (perhaps all) of the buses along a20.

1 « J'aime »

11 « J'aime »

13 « J'aime »

No picture, but the work to paint the columns is continuing. Under today’s smoky skies, the hue is a warm, medium grey. However, it is not a graffiti-proof coating: several columns that are accessible from the Fairview parking lot are already all tagged up, post-painting.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 « J'aime »