REM - Matériel Roulant

You don’t know anything about me. But even disregarding that, you’ve just given the worst kind of whataboutism: “It’s not the loud train that’s loud, it’s that you’re not the right kind of person who accepts that ‘living in town’ is loud.” Gimme a break.

Sure. I’m just tired of fanboys coming up with excuses. It’s OK that it’s loud, it’s a train! I get it! But c’mon, don’t make up excuses to pretend it isn’t a train, and “but-but-but” — if you’re standing underneath the elevated guideway, and the REM goes by and it’s loud, just say it’s loud. Don’t try to tell me that, “Yeah, but, it’s not as loud as the constant traffic on Decarie,” or, “Yeah, but, that’s out in the open in an industrial area, not where they’re putting up sound-deflecting barriers,” or now, “Yeah, but, you’re obviously not cut out for living in the city.”

2 « J'aime »

Je me demande si le skytrain de Vancouver est aussi bruyant.

En tout cas ca donne un argument de plus pour la construction en tunnel de ligne de metro en zone urbaine dense.

La perception du bruit est aussi pas toujours la même. J’habite a lasalle je suis a plus ou moins 3 km du pont ferroviaire du CP qui traverse le fleuve de lasalle a khanawaké. Le soir j’entend les convoies de trains passer sur le pont. De jour on ne percoit pas le son des trains car enterré par tout les sons ambients.

3 « J'aime »

And I will repeat, the people living in Pierrefonds and Roxboro and Laval aren’t downtown, and the REM metros will be going by every couple of minutes, 20 hours a day, just a few metres from their back decks and bedroom windows. The people who have lived along there for a while may have gotten used to an electric train going by (at ground level) every 20 minutes at rush-hour, and every hour or two during the day and into the early evening. This will take it to a whole other level. Anybody who hasn’t seen this segment up close in person probably just doesn’t quite grasp the situation. As I said, I’m really curious what will happen to property values along the DM segment. If I were a betting person, I’d put a lot of money on the under.

3 « J'aime »

Une autre maniere de réduire le bruit des trains serai d’installer des rail damper. Sorte de sandwich en caoutchou qui absorbe la vibration des rails. Et qui est simple a Installer.

Ici un exemple du bruit sur une section de rail de train en Australie sans damper et avec damper.

Ici quelques sites de fabricants de damper pour rail.

https://www.voestalpine.com/nortrak/en/products/Rail-Dampers/

2 « J'aime »

I’m just curious, do you ever see the glass half full? Every single post I see from you regardless of the topic is a complaint, a critique, or an “I told you so!”

We found out yesterday that Emirates is heading to YUL this summer and because of a miscommunication you thought it would be parked here for 12 hours and your reaction was “oh great another remote spot taken up by a plane all day!”

What’s going on here? Am I the only one seeing the upside to things? Where’s the optimism gone?

9 « J'aime »

Sérieusement tu es lourd en ce moment. C’est toi qui a parlé du bruit au Centre-Ville et désolé si ça te choque mais, oui ce n’est pas toute les clientèles qui sont fait pour ce secteur.

Ensuite, tu m’appeles ‘‘fanboy’’, parce que pour toi amener une explication sur le niveau de bruit dans une vidéo c’est être un fanboy. J’ai émis plein de critique et liker pleins d’autres voici la liste non-exhaustive de tout ce que je n’aime pas dans le projet:

-Les structure laide de la rive-sud et secteur sud de Montréal
-La fermeture trop longue de la ligne Deux-Montagnes
Je crois qu’ils auraient due prolonger la ligne orange en premier jusqu’à Contre-Cœur. Faire tous les segments du REM (sauf train Deux-Montagnes) et donc, finir par train deux montagnes.Afin, de diminuer au maximum le temps de fermeture de cette ligne de train.
-Train Deux-Montagnes, ils ne devraient pas avoir de structure aérienne , si le train étaient au sol avant, il pouvait l’être maintenant. Ils auraient du construire des over et underpass pour traverser la voie ferré et non mettre en structure aérienne (comme à SunnyBrook)
-les structures dans le segment de la 40 sont correct mais, sont gâchées par la canalisation toutes croches.
-Ça l’aurait été mieux de passer dans l’emprise d’Hydro-Québec dans l’Ouest que sur l’A40. Cependant, bien que ça l’aurait desservi mieux les gens, ça l’aurait occasionné plus de dérangement.
-Les trains sont pas très beau et le vert, je ne le comprend pas
-Les stations de l’extérieurs sont banal

Les critiques du projet qui m’énerve profondément:
-La fermeture prolonger du tunnel du Mont-Royal, ce tunnel devait être réparé et n’était pas aux normes. Des situations hors du contrôle normal ont chamboulées le chantier.
-Le bruit dans un secteur industriel. Revenez-moi avec une mesure du bruit dans secteur résidentiel et on conviendra que CDPQinfra n’a pas respecter ces promesses. D’ici là , c’est chialer pour chialer.
-Les fils, ben oui, il y a des fils. Ils auraient peut-être pu mettre un 3e rail. Mais, il n’avait aucunes garanties que ça l’aurait fonctionné.
-Finalement, ce qui m’énerve particulièrement, c’est les gens qui se plaignent continuellement.

9 « J'aime »

Théoriquement, c’est ce qu’ils sont supposé faire Bruit et vibrations du REM en opération | REM.
Reste à voir si c’est vrai.

On attend encore le train les gars ! :laughing:

3 « J'aime »

Ça dépend des secteurs, des trains qui passent (les anciennes voitures sont très bruyante) et de l’entretien. Il y a beaucoup de documentation sur le sujet.
SLR Report Template July 2018 (translink.ca)

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/plans-and-projects/skytrain-noise-study/skytrain-noise-report-20181128.pdf

I wouldn’t be surprised to see significant value increase regardless, though I’d expect appreciation rates for those houses smack next to the guideway but outside a station walkshed to be equal or lower than their local average. The houses that are going to see crazy appreciation are the ones in super-close-but-also-not-too-close sweet spots.

3 « J'aime »

I mean ultimately it’s a balance between cost and benefit. The REM finally connects the West Island to the rest of the network with a fast, reliable and comfortable service. I think as a society we need to decide when do we need to put our foot down and say “hey guys, things are going to change and it might have some negative impacts.”

I used to date someone living on Pavilion, not on the tracks, but the other side of the street. I used to hear the trains when I was outside, but it was not really audible inside unless you paid attention to it, and here we’re going about 10dB lower per train. Even my friend who lived along the tracks in Westmount says he doesn’t really care about those big diesel bois, they faded into the background.

Ultimately, it’s a value proposition question. The people who live there chose (to an extent) to live there knowing full well that the service pattern could change. Hell, double tracking to increase frequency on the DM has been discussed on and off for years. So with the installation of the barriers which should make the trains substantially quieter(which it seems so in the video above), if a resident still feels that it’s too much, at that point I’m sorry for them, but it was never an unlikely outcome and they can either adapt or move.

Anyway, I get what you’re saying, and I believe you aren’t saying it shouldn’t exist, but much like the guy who had a nice view in his apartment blocked by another new construction, it sucks but you gotta crack a few eggs and all that. Some people will unfortunately be inconvenienced.

8 « J'aime »

Je suis parfaitement d’accord avec toi. C’est pour ça qu’il doit y avoir des mesures objectives. Il y a le dbA journalier moyen ou autres mesures. C’est mesures permettent de prendre en compte 1, le volume sonore et 2, leurs fréquences.

Et oui dépendant de nos habitudes. On peut percevoir et être influencé par les bruits autrement que quelqu’un d’autre.

1 « J'aime »

Exo trains are louder by a long shot and they are also right next to the Smith promenade. Theses peoples bought a 3½ right next to an active railway. They knew what they were getting into.

5 « J'aime »

I decided to bike over the Champlain bridge today (with the great weather), and right as I got on the bridge, 4 car REM at regular speed passed. As I was biking through Brossard I saw another pass leading to the bridge (maybe about 20 minutes apart).

6 « J'aime »

I get that, that’s not at all the point of my posts above.

Noise level are likely going to be fairly innocuous and in the low tier when comes to urban noise pollution. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be silent, or that it can’t become a nuisance for some people. Acknowledging one statement doesn’t invalidate the other. Anyone else feel that some of the recent exchanges have been way more heated than they needed to be? Anyway, it’s some great weather we’re having today.

13 « J'aime »

I was about to improvise myself as a moderator.

2 « J'aime »

Henry Kissinger has risen from the grave.

1 « J'aime »

So I was in Griffintown picking up something on Facebook marketplace with my girlfriend and while waiting for her to come back down, I thought it’d be a good opportunity to take some noise measurements while were kinda on the topic. This is science-lite, so take it for it’s worth, I’m just some dude on the internet.

Firstly, the location. I was standing near the corner of Young and Smith on the other side of the street to the tracks. This is behind a 2m tall barrier.

Next, I tried to estimate the speed of the Train. Using the left side of the post, the frame I see it touch the barrier and the frame the train completely passes the left side of the post is the time for one train length to pass. In the video (linked below) it touches at 4.57s and clears it at 9.50s. The train is officially 76.20m long, but we can’t see the whole face, so let’s just assume 75m. This would mean the train was moving at 15.21m/s or 54.8km/h.

I would also note that the video makes it seem much louder thank it actually felt.

Now the app I downloaded to take measurements read an ambient noise without cars passing at 49.9dB and with cars (on cobblestone) at 68.4dB. The train passing peaks instantaneously at 75.2dB but for was around 71dB for most of the pass. Forgive me, it didn’t let me save more than one recording so some ended up as screenshots of the reading, my apologies. See my results below:

Car:

Train (Frequencies similar to the car on the street):

For comparison, when walking home I measured the Décarie which gave:

This was just the ambient noise, not including when the guys with the straight piped motorcycles ripping through. In my opinion, the highway felt much louder, and I think that might be due to the higher frequencies feeling more piercing.

Anyway so that was my 15 mins or so waiting for my GF. The trains were passing at every 3-4 minutes so that was fun. Here’s another video I took for fun. Sorry for the poor cinematography.

19 « J'aime »