Refonte du réseau bus

Here’s what I think about it

• I really like the idea of having a frequent bus line on Pierrefonds. Maybe using the 468 like the 470 could be the solution. And with the stop at Pierrefonds-Roxboro REM station it would be a great thing for people working more to the East.
    I don’t know if it’s stupid, but maybe make the 468 run Pierrefonds to Pierrefonds-Roxboro REM station then Des Sources to Cote-Vertu. Like that you give more bus on Des Sources and not only rely on one bus line to do the part north of the 40.

• The service on Des Sources really has to be improve, a lot of commerces are concentrated there and currently going shopping is really frustrating with the bus, as they pass every like 30 minutes. Also, with the redevelopment of DDO near Des Sources, new high density building being built, I think it’s especially important to give them a proper and frequent connection to either Pierrefonds-Roxboro station or Des Sources one (some could walk to it, but with the current state of things it’s so dangerous that you’re better of waiting the bus to get across the 40 and it’s even worst if you try with a bike)

• Apart of that, the 206 feels like it’s just too long. Also, it removes the ability for people living along Roger-Pilon and Anselme-Lavigne to easily go to Fairview Pointe-Clair shopping mall. I would personally cut it in half at Saint-Jean and have both section end at Fairview.

6 « J'aime »

Hi Aricie, it’s great to have you join in. Welcome!

+1 on des Sources and Pierrefonds.

On the 206 specifically, by running down to Fairview mid-route, that adds 6 km (1 bus at 30 min frequency) of operating cost. I’m thinking it would be better to keep the 206 as drawn and add a North-South route from Fairview to Roxboro along Tecumseh/Fredemir. That way, those further west aren’t delayed in getting to Roxboro. By rejigging the proposed Antoine-Faucon and Gouin services, the additional operating cost could be further reduced.

2 « J'aime »

Yes I agree this should be proposed on the Parlons-en page. But I don’t know if the residents will accept having buses on their street

Alright. Just before this week’s set of public meetings, here’s a new revision of the maps. I have two options, a full service (using about the same number of buses as today), and a pared back service that saves bus service hours for elsewhere on the island.

First, I implemented a few of Chunky Potato’s suggestions from above.

For St. Jean, this map now includes frequent through service that also goes westward at Pierrefonds. This better maintains existing transit links, and provides very frequent service (7.5 min max if the schedules are well coordinated) to the centre of Pierrefonds. It also ensures that the western end of Pierrefonds is better connected to the REM.

There’s more service north of A40 where there is more potential ridership. The rejigged 205, and added 210 (in the full budget map) provide gridded coverage to support the main frequent routes.

I also took a look at options in Kirkland/Beaconsfield to enhance coverage and/or conserve service hours.

In Dorval, to keep the 202 from getting too long, I terminate it in Dorval.

Finally, I finally have a preference for the express buses, one semi-express each for the A20 and the A40. The A20 express route would be a reasonably frequent 411, with connections at Beaconsfield to neighbourhood routes. I’d have to be convinced that it would be worth duplicating service further west. The A40 route would be an all-day version of the 216 from Des Sources REM, likely at 15 min peak/30 min all-day frequency.

Thick lines are 10 min peak 15 min all-day. Thin lines are 30 min all-day with the following exceptions.
211/214 are every 15 minutes even in the peak.
202/203, every 20 minute in peak
407/213 peak hour only, as today.
218 west of Charlemagne college is only for select trips.
214 may increase to every 20 minutes at peak.
419 may drop to every 30 minutes, matching 212 frequency, in evenings and late-night.
For the base case:
211, 411 - 20 min all-day
219, 417 peak-only

1 « J'aime »

I really think there should be more service in between Dorval and John abbott. the buses are jam packed either going there every morning or leaving in the evening with their being 3 routes at rush hour along the 20 all at 20-30 minute frequency.

1 « J'aime »

I see what you mean, looking at the Chrono bus loading indicators today. By jam packed, there’s still standing room on most of the buses, but yeah, more capacity than I showed is needed at the peak.

Not just on A20, but also on the 419 more capacity will be needed, but as the 419 already matches the REM’s frequency, additional buses would not speed any trips. Rather, it would be best to increase the bus capacity, running 60-foot buses on this route, increasing peak capacity by roughly 50% as compared to today.

1 « J'aime »

agreed. I know a lot of people who take the 419 and they frequently have to wait for several buses to pass to get on. The reason so many drive is because of how busy and overcrowded the 419 is.

Are there improvements to EXO1 that would help reduce the demand on the buses? The 1 km walk is a problem, but it looks like there is already a morning train that gets in time for 8am classes. The 17h09 departure heading east seems a little tardy if most classes are out at 16h20.

I don’t feel tardy!

a decent amount of people do take the trains when there is a train but there are barely any counter rush hour, but typically quite a few people board the 17h09 train at Sainte annes. The exo1 trains are definitely quite busy with students going downtown though. The exo1 train really serves a similar area to the 411, 405, and 211 while the 419 is used for people north of highway 40 who take a bus to fairview and then transfer to the 419.

Got it.

I feel it’s okay for the exo1 to be infrequent given that the buses have off-peak trips well covered. The train is needed to relieve the buses at times where they get overcrowded.

To accommodate that, I’d like your take on two adjustments. 1) the inbound train would leave around 16h50 rather than 17h09. 2) eastbound 411 buses departing between 16h20 and 16h50 should take an alternate path that is less well served by the train, i.e. running to Lachine and Lasalle, to encourage train ridership.

1 « J'aime »

Hm these maps seem way more balanced than v3 as well as my edits, really nice work there! Though I do still have some comments xD

I’m gonna start from the reduced version then build my way up to the full map because many of my suggestions involve adding buses. My recommendations result in a level of service sort of “in between” the full map and the reduced map. I’ll post a version of the reduced map with my suggestions, plus a couple of the coverage buses from the full map.

Granted, with the eventual removal of the 968 route, the eventual addition of 50 buses to the SL garage (something like a 17ish % increase from what we have now), and that in your map many routes to the metro are either trimmed or straight-up deleted (211 405 409 411 425 468 470 475 485 and, technically, 747… that’s quite a few, and works out to a hell of a lot of extra bus “resources” we can work with), its not impossible to see several frequent routes come by after the reform (but in the real world the STM doesnt give a crap about the west island and they’ll probably . That said, I’ll try not to add too many routes to the reduced version.

One immediate concern I see in this map is that, while of course I understand that it is reasonable, in fact even preferable for access to the metro will be reduced following the REM being put into service, but what I’m seeing here seems somewhat overdone. I’m particularly worried about getting to the cote vertu/du college area, as there is still substantial need for commuters to go from the west island to those areas (eg vanier college, workplaces on decarie/cote des neiges, etc). Currently, just about everyone is able to either take a bus to fairview then 470 to CV, or could take bus 68 to bus 64. With both of those options gone, a substantial number of people will need at minimum 3 buses to get to cote vertu metro (or bus-REM-bus). With transfer wait times still being up to 30min for most lines this can make the experience of going to CV deeply unpleasant, unless the REM gets extended to bois-franc (unlikely to happen soon tbh). I’ll try to address this problem in my suggestions below.

Speaking of… here’s a few of my suggestions/brain farts:

• In my personal opinion, 201/68 to me really needs to be merged into one line.

• There are some shops and commerces along gouin that I’d love to maintain easy access to, and beyond that, the 68 is generally the primary way to go from the west island to laval, montreal-nord, parts of eastern montreal, st laurent, and CDN by transferring to either 64 or 69 then again to either the metro or some third bus. While it’s not often that these trips are made, I really don’t want to entertain the idea of upping that to 4 buses (or 3+metro) for people who do need to make these sorts of trips as at that point id just tell them to drive, itd would no longer be worth the hours in wait times per day.

• Id personally keep the high frequency route all the way down: if we combine the 68, and 468 routes then one can argue that we currently have an effective all-day frequency of 15 minutes on that corridor on weekdays (2 buses per hour on 68 + 2 buses per hour on 468), so it’s not like it’s unreasonable to maintain a 15 minute all-day frequency down the corridor; a drop to 30min service east of Roxboro would indeed be a downgrade from what we have now. Id even go a step further and extend this 201/68 down grenet to CV tbh to make up for losing so many other buses from pierrefonds to CV/du college: the 409, 468, and 470. That second extension might be asking a little much but it would make a lot of difference in terms of access to not-quite-downtown destinations on the island.

• This largely solves the problem of metro access as with 68/201 now running on st charles, basically the entire west island can take a bus to the 68/201 then take 68/201 to the metro (via 64 if the extension isn’t done). Thus we maintain the ability for people to take 2 buses to Cote Vertu.

• Admittedly im not entirely sure why 217 and 216 are separate routes, especially in the full map. I recall your access vs speed point from earlier and I fully agree with it, but here it seems like the 217 doesnt have proper access to fairview either, and the 216 just picks up where 217 leaves off anyways. 217 does extend past des sources presumably to do the route of the old 72 but i’d argue that 72 is best left untouched anyways since it serves its industrial areas rather well while providing very good connections: to the REM at sources and marie-curie (technoparc), to the metro at cote vertu/du college, and to other bus lines at fairview and sources.

• Id like to propose that 216/217 be one route, with a detour at des Sources to exit the highway, drop off/pick up people at the rem, and then join back the highway. The 217 east of sources should, honestly, just be the old 72 tbh. And at Fairview i wanna say lets have pointe claire build a simple, cheap pedestrian bridge/tunnel at Fairview to connect the westbound service road to the REM. they did it for every exo1 stop in their territory, even the really tiny/unimportant stops, so I’m sure it can’t be expensive to do here as well (and it would be much more useful here than there) so it’s really not too unreasonable an idea IMHO.
  • I’ve been thinking about the 211 and 411 a bit. I really like your suggestion of keeping just 411 btw, I think it works quite well. That said I think both routes need to be frequent, as @HenryM mentioned, but doing it the way it’s done in the “full” map has a frequent 211 overlapping with a frequent 201/68 on southern st charles… this seems kinda overkill: they’ll have the most buses per hour despite being of the least busy corridors and one of the lowest density areas in the west island (at least as of right now but it seems that the area isn’t a target for building mid-to-high rise housing; that seems to mostly be taking place north of A40 for now).

• One observation i want to make is I don’t think hymus needs a frequent-all-day route down its length. Most of the shopping on hymus is concentrated to the corners of hymus and one of the north-south boulevards st jean, etc. meaning that those shopping areas will be accessible by one of the 201/68, 302, or 209 frequent bus lines. Instead, what’s on hymus between the boulevards is mostly industrial areas which, to me, do not warrant all-day frequent service by themselves. Instead, a 30min all-day service with slightly enhanced rush hour to 20-min should be sufficient and will leave us with more room to adjust other routes’ frequencies. To make sure, I did a quick walk-down on google maps’ street view and struggled to find anything of interest on Hymus except the hospital and some condos around the hymus/delmar interesection.

• To fix the overlapping st charles routes and if we run with the assumption that Hymus won’t need a high frequency route, then what I want to suggest is essentially this: let’s take the current 405 which is exactly the same as the 411 from our map and the 211 from our map (west of beaconsfield) and run it at thick line frequencies (10 min rush hour/15 min off peak). This provides us the 211 and 411 service in the current “full” map while also saving us some resources by not running frequent buses down st charles and hymus.

• Now we can add a standard service bus on hymus, let’s call it 225 cuz why not. Let’s start it at kirkland REM and move eastwards to st charles, where it’ll go to hymus. By having it just go straight down hymus we can put the 215 back to its current route so that it serves st regis. Then finally the 214 can be moved from st regis to spring garden to provide better coverage to that part of eastern DDO (IMHO the bus will serve more ppl on spring garden than sunnybrooke since sunnybrooke runs along the nature park).

• (one thing to note as an aside is since 215 and 225 buses also serve the st laurent areas which aren’t really targeted by the west island reform, it might be prudent to leave the portions of them east of a40 as-is as well as their numbers)

• Route 202 duplicating 203 for the entire length from st jean/beaconsfield to the western terminus seems a bit overkill. Generally I don’t like route concurrency because, at least in the west island, the buses somehow always end up running very close to one another, leading to a fairly staggered frequency experience. Assuming route 203 is intended to be a high frequency route (10 min peak/15 min all-day) and with 211 to reduce the overall importance of needing the 202 to go to fairview Im thinking the 202 should instead do that part of “thin line” 203 west of st jean/lakeview

• With Kirkland becoming at this point a sorta mini terminus I feel like it can be justifiable to extend 419 to there to meet the rest of the buses for better bus-bus transfers

• Last and probably least, I think the 209 should stay extended to the airport like it is right now. I think this is good for two reasons:

• If the CDPQ wont extend REM to dorval then we may as well do it ourselves. A high frequency bus from dorval to the airport obviously isn’t a proper replacement for a REM extension but at least it means dorval residents who want access to the REM have a not-too-terrible way to access it. Airport surcharges may throw a wrench in that idea but im hoping on it being the same as today where like how you can use 747 with your monthly pass, you can hopefully use REM to the airport with it as well.

• It provides an alternative way to get to the airport from the west island. REM loses points in that regard because you have to do a 10+ minute ride alll the way to bois franc, wait up to 10-15 minutes, then do another 10 minute ride back to the airport… yeah transfers between REM branches is gonna be a proper pain in the butt because of that, it seems they really built it with a strong “go downtown and back” mentality. Anyways, In some situations the REM is still faster than transferring to the 209 but especially for people who live more south in dorval/pointe-claire/etc it’s probably easier for them to take 411/405 to dorval then 209 to the airport than to deal with the REM.

One quick thing to mention is in my map i did some slight adjustments to route, most noticeably 205, 206, and 214. The changes largely concern making the routes more closely follow existing routes, both to not accidentally leave people bus-less but also because IMO the areas I adjusted have better coverage (you mapped some routes to run alongside a40, the river, or the nature park which cut down how many people the bus passes by since one side becomes just “nothingness” in a way). I also integrated your fill map’s 214 “detour” to kirkland road into my edit’s 225 to get that coverage boost. I didn’t

BTW I really, really love the other changes.

• The extended 203 makes a lot of sense to me, providing similar service as the old 470 to connect Pierrefonds to the main shopping center at Fairview. And especially with a bus-only road going to be built from antoine-faucon to the REM, it’s almost a no-brainer that we need high frequency buses on that road (else itll be a waste to build the road it it receives little use) so I’m quite happy that it’s accounted for.

• The 205 loop seems quite sensible, avoiding overlap with other routes while connecting both anselme lavigne and pavillon to the REM. Just the part around rive-boisee, i’d change it to the more “original” route instead to provide better coverage though.

• And in the full map, I never thought to consider a bus like 210 down fredmir and tecumseh but it looks like a really solid and not annoyingly twisty/windy way to add coverage to the area which is otherwise devoid of nice, direct streets. I left it out of

To address @Aricie’s idea of 468 on pierrefonds->roxboro REM-> des sources, it’s certainly not a stupid idea, it’s actually quite sensible since it provides for a decent way to go from pierrefonds to the shipping areas on des Sources. However I don’t think it should be done for the sake of frequency, since having multiple lines overlap in my experience tends to end up with a staggered frequency… let’s take the current 68 and 468 for exampe, both come every half hour but often the 468 comes 5 min after the 68 (or vice versa) or even worse ive seen both buses basically bumper-to-bumper providing what’s at that point an 80’ bus experience every half hour. For that reason i prefer single, high frequency routes over multiple, low frequency, overlapping routes.

1 « J'aime »
2 « J'aime »

I think bus 214 should go to Fairview station

I like a lot of the choices. We’re definitely down to the debatable differences.

I’d like your take on whether the main part of Beaconsfield needs a direct route to the REM. That was the one thing pushing me for the Hymus version of the 211.

The 214 along Sunnybrooke is specifically requested by the community in order to access the Sikh temples. Otherwise, I agree that Spring Garden has better coverage to residences. Having St. Regis covered also allows the 215 to go more quickly to the Des Sources REM. One other option would be to run the 208 down Kingsley/Salaberry to more evenly cover the area, but then it would miss the des Sources high school.

How do you see the bus layover working at Sunnybrook?

There was a good contingent from Ile Bizard at the public consultation last night. I was thinking of running the 207/407 on different routes on the island, to expand coverage cheaply.

1 « J'aime »

Yeah I agree, I feel like at this point the sorta “fundamentals” are in the map

Re: the 211, I’d argue that the best course of action is NOT to push for buses to the rem to replace the highway buses. This is for a couple of reasons:

• Using buses 200 and 405 as my reference points, from the corner of st charles/beaconsfield, bus 200 takes 20-25 minutes to get to fairview. Then add in the 27 mins quoted by the REM station plus about 5-10 mins to handle the transfer and wait time and in total it’s around an hour to get to downtown (coming back, that transfer will be MUCH less forgiving, worth keeping in mind). Meanwhile bus 405 takes 30-40 minutes to get to downtown (lionel-groulx). Thus there is a significant difference in speed, primarily a result of the detour through st Charles and Hymus that wastes a lot of time.

• I’d have been more comfortable if the detour was only about 10-15 minutes for the sake of the bus being able to pick up more people along the way, but with a high frequency bus already on st charles the need for more service on that corridor becomes redundant, and for nearly doubling the travel time it seems a bit unnecessary IMHO. Plus I don’t think the destinations on hymus alone warrant the detour, since transfers from 211 to 201/68, 203, or 209 should in theory be painless since all four are frequent, and the latter three can serve most destinations of interest on hymus.
  • There is the issue of Dorval and some other areas not getting any reasonable REM access that has me inclined to maintain some workable degree of service on a20. It doesn’t have to be as extensive as it is rn with 5 buses (211-405-411-425-485 from dorval) but I think if we maintain at least a level comparable to 211-405-411 alone then it should be enough. Diverting the 211 buses to the REM thru hymus and then simply running buses from the Beaconsfield train station as it’s set in your map is an alternative option, but given the sheer amount of people on the dorval-JAC corridor as well as the speed difference I mentioned earlier, it seems sensible to maintain the service “the whole way” so to speak.

Re. access to the Sikh temples, given they’re only a six minute walk away from the sunnybrooke/spring garden intersection which has a stop for 206, 208, and 214 on my map, as well as bus 208 which passes right in front of it on my map, I feel like it’s already served about as well as is reasonable and that it is safe to run 214 on spring garden as such

Re. the sunnybrooke layover, I have to admit that i’m not too sure. One way I can think of is having all the buses leave roughly the same time and all the buses arrive a bit before the scheduled leaves, this would be the best for bus-bus connections but honestly I don’t think that’s feasible. Staggering the departures instead would benefit people who live close to two lines (say between 206 and 208), who can then take whichever comes first, so all in all honestly I’m not sure which paradigm would be better.

Re. ile bizard, it’s obviously not really doable to service the whole island by bus, but I think the area around chevremont/cherrier could get better coverage without costing too much. Something like this would provide a lot more coverage to most of the island’s residents, though the rest will unfortunately simply have to live with the taxibus or just driving (red is an alternate route that saves about 5 mins or so).

1 « J'aime »

I believe the STM is planning on abandoning the different coloured route depending on the type of bus.

While express buses used to be green, and on the map they’re displayed as magenta, the new bus stop signs on the West Island display the express bus as blue instead of green or magenta:

On Pie-IX, the express bus is also blue:

When I asked them about this, they said “We want to standardize the colours. We are reviewing the colours for the future and how to display these services.”

Because the standard ARTM signage displays the different bus companies by specific colours, adding more colours within those networks could be more confusing.

3 « J'aime »

Honnestly the sign system needs a complete rework. It’s very hard to read for people with impaired vision. Sometimes it’s not very clear what metro station the bus stops at. For instance, on the same sign with both the 141 Jean-Talon Est and 439 Ex. Pie-IX there’s two different station being served by each line. The tiny text is very hard to read and someone might hop on the wrong bus thinking it goes to a different station.

2 « J'aime »

Just wanna say i find it mildly humorous that this is now the third time you’ve reposted my pic… xD Not that i mind of course, it’s just funny to me lol

Anyways on the topic of the recoloring… In a way it makes sense, though it would appear that they wish to maintain the black branding for their night buses (which arguably makes sense since the night bus network is almost completely separate from the daytime network).

In particular I kinda feel like a substantial amount of STM “express” buses are just normal buses with a glamorized name. Certainly there are some buses (or, more appropriately, bus pairs) where you have a clear “normal version” and a faster “express version” like 139/439, 165/465, 106/406, etc; in such cases it makes total sense to label them express.

But then you have many express buses whose “regular equivalent” is basically completely different (see 207/407, 195/495, 209/409 for some simple examples) and don’t really merit being called “express” because it’s not really a faster variant of the regular route. What i mean by that is that you probably wouldn’t be taking the express version because it’s faster than the regular version, it’s more likely that you’ll take the express version because it goes to a completely different destination.

Then you have bus pairs like 217/425, 218/485, and 68/468 where the express version mainly means “here instead of the terminus being nowhere useful, this is a prolonged route that goes past the terminus to the metro”. I guess you can call them express buses if you want, but I prefer to call them “what the regular bus should be”.

And then you have some express buses like the 401, 470 or 475 that don’t really have regular bus equivalents (470 for example is just THE west island bus, not really an express of anything its just the standard bus you have to take to get here lol)

Then finally when you hit the temporary shuttles like the 964 or 968 all bets are off as i’ve seen green and blue sign variants for these buses…

All of this all of text basically to say that the express network is a mess and TBH the branding seems kinda arbitrary, so yeah I can definitely see a good case for just blurring the difference between express and regular STM buses

2 « J'aime »

TBH sometimes i look at 475 and feel like it’s really wasted potential for a line thats rather long but has like 5 stops, most of which dont serve that many people… like imagine if it got a hypothetical extension in red that goes down des Sources and Pierrefonds in a similar manner as 470 (drawn in orange for reference). bonus points if you also skip the detour for DDO civic centre and just go straight to Davignon

Des Sources in particular would probably benefit seeing as they only really have 209 which doesnt even go to the metro and 409 which is a farce of an “express” bus that takes a painfully slow route to du College vis the service road instead of the highway

I guess with the REM this extension would probably become moot (and by that i mean this bus line as a whole is likely to stop existing entirely) but with still at least two more full years to go it wouldve been nice to see something like this in the interim

1 « J'aime »