Centre Eaton de Montréal - 9 étages

10 « J'aime »

This is a great documentary from 90s that show what it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z47zN3ct48

3 « J'aime »

Juste wow!

6 « J'aime »

Reportage au Téléjournal

Réouverture du restaurant Le 9e de l’ancien magasin Eaton

C’est un lieu iconique de l’Art déco montréalais : le restaurant de l’Île-de-France, situé au neuvième étage de l’ancien magasin Eaton du centre-ville de Montréal. Ceux qui militaient pour sa réouverture ont été entendus : l’établissement accueillera à nouveau des clients dès le mois de mai. C’est une occasion de voyager dans le temps…

Un reportage de Elyse Allard

Il y a aussi un reportage à CBC

This iconic Montreal art deco restaurant will reopen after 25 years

The ninth floor restaurant of Montreal’s Eaton Centre was a landmark for the city after it opened in 1931. It’s set to reopen May 17 after 25 years. We spoke to some of the people leading the charge.

10 « J'aime »

Quelle déception majeure que la grande salle ne sera pas disponible pour le restaurant. Un peu comme le cinéma Impérial, le public n’aura pas (ou rarement) accès a un endroit important de la ville.

4 « J'aime »

En effet, c’est curieux comme choix :frowning:

Comment ça une centaine de places !? C’est un scandale monumentale !

Imagine! A private property owner deciding what to do with the private property they own!

4 « J'aime »

No one said the opposite, it’s still a bit disappointing considering the way it’s been advertised so far.

2 « J'aime »

Maybe so, but restaurants with 100+ seats are a thing of the past. It’s much easier to flip your dining room say, 3-4 times if you have 50 seats and do 200 customers and 4 “waves” of service, then it is to try and serve 250 people in a timely manner.

I speak from experience cause I’ve been a professional chef for the past 15 years, and I can tell you that big and grand dining rooms are a thing of the past. It makes a lot more sense from a business point of view to keep big rooms for private events or banquets that can accommodate large groups.

Also, a business can make a LOT more money by renting or privatizing rooms like this for events or banquets because regardless of the waste after the event has ended, everything has been paid for. The business owner can know more or less how much money they’re going to make. The same can’t be said for a restaurant where food cost is a lot higher and profit margins are much smaller.

17 « J'aime »

No you’re right, that does make sense!

Reservations

10 « J'aime »

à l’émission radio Tout un matin

4 « J'aime »

After 16 years as a professional chef, I got really excited for this restaurant of old times to open again.

But it baffles me that a fish and chips is more expensive than a burger. Meat is way more expensive than fish nowadays, so chances are they are using something really cheap to be able to sell it at only 19$. For all the foodies here, I would avoid it.

As for the filet mignon, 59$ is not shocking at all. Filet mignon goes for as much as 80$/kg and the portion probably hovers around 180-200g. Remember that for a restaurant to make money, the selling price has to be at least food cost multiplied by 3.5

I will anxiously wait to see the whole menu online before I give it a try. I’m more excited about the historical aspect of the place than the food.

If anybody here has technical questions about food and how it works behind the scenes, I would be more than happy to answer to the best of my abilities!

10 « J'aime »
3 « J'aime »

À 11h30 aujourd’hui

13 « J'aime »

Nespresso est ouvert

Psycho Bunny est en construction

Et Lindt est dans un local temporaire

De plus, l’accès entre le centre Eaton & l’ancien complexe des ailes (le sud, proche de Ste Catherine) est fermé

13 « J'aime »

Je remarque a chaque fois que je vais au Centre Eaton que c’est vraiment un succes fulgurant toujours plein de monde. Bravo

4 « J'aime »

Je ne connaissais pas Psycho Bunny, mais apparemment leur siège social est à Montréal même si jusqu’à celui-ci, le seul magasin dans le secteur était à Laval

2 « J'aime »

Oui il ouvrent a Eaton et au Dix30, il on priorisé l’international avant le marché quebecois

1 « J'aime »