Cartes, plans et signalétique métropolitaine

Bus signage redesign

I have been working on and off (with my little free time) since April 2023 on (re)designing a bus stop sign. Since then, I had done three revisions to get to the version I am at now, where I feel it is at a presentable stage.

I have written a blog post about it if you want to read in-depth about the issues with the current signage, my solution, inspiration and the steps I have taken since last April.

Here: Understanding your local bus network should not be as hard. – Cole Dev Blog

If you want to read major portions of the article, click on the icon next to “Post Navigation” and read the “Recommended Readings.”

The new sign

See full size here.

More information

Read more about the problem here.
Read more about the solution here.

There is a wealth of new information present on the sign. However, I wanted to show more information than today’s sign. Mainly this is due to a complicated end user journey I had discovered here. Thus it has the current stop, the final stop for each route, the name of each route and the next major stations on the route (up to 3).

Nomenclature

Read more about the problem here & here.

The biggest change is the new prefix-number-suffix nomenclature system. The prefix, vulgarizes the different service types much better. The suffix communicates the route variation rather than just adding the “X.” As I discovered, the “X” could be mean short line, extended line or route variation.

The new prefixes gives way to a better way of organizing bus routes:

Personal anecdote, I have spoken with a few of my friends, and almost none of them knew that the 400s for the STM are express routes. When I told then what did they think would be the meaning for the route X20 for example, they said immediately it has to be express.

Colors

Instead of exo just having a white color, I had decided to break it into many colors for each sector. Additionally, routes that operate during limited hours or days have a colored outline and a white background. Those that operate solely during the night have a colored outline and a dark background.

Schedule & Route Map

“But we all have phones,” they said. I respond with what happens if the phone dies, privacy concerns, dependence on phones, accessibility issues, etc. But also a study found that bus riders are looking for two key informations, informations that are hard to confirm with a phone:

• “Find a bus with a similar route;”
  • “Make sure the bus was in the right direction.”

I centered my schedule design around these two aspects. Along with that, many agencies are also creating braille + raised tactile lettered bus signs, so I designed that one as well for greater network accessibility.

See full version here.

It contains a unified route map, which also displays the frequent bus routes (“R” and “M” type routes; I used GTFS data to map and therefore it does not show the prefixes on the map), so that the user can find routes with a similar route.

A linear map is created to reassure the user is going in the right direction as well as showing the the travel times.

Due to the large effort to create these maps, I expect them only to be posted at major stops. However, it is a far cry from the current signage. Which is disappearing more and more, as the STM is replacing the maps with a suggestion to consult your phone.

Service disruptions

When service is disrupted, the current signage is lacks hugely. For example, it is common to see people waiting at a stop when the bus does not stop there, and either the bus does not pass or the bus skips the stop and they are left running after the bus or they completely missed it. To better communicate that the bus stop is closed, I had created a “bag” with a pouch that goes over the schedule holder.

See full version here.

Standardization of signage

As many know already, a huge issue is that bus stop signs in Montreal vary a lot. My goal with this redesign was to take the best techniques and try to apply them to all four agencies in the area. I think I succeeded quite well.

Concluding thoughts

This will probably never happen. This signage is probably very difficult and expensive to implement, but I believe that there are some good tips that the ARTM and OPTC could take into account once they create a unified bus stop design. What do you guys think?

27 « J'aime »

Pendant tout tes temps libre ? WOW-------!! :star_struck: :revolving_hearts: :clap:

2 « J'aime »

Beau travail. Le plan de ligne manque cruellement aux arrêts. Je me contenterais juste d’un schéma de ligne si ça pouvait être implanté rapidement.

5 « J'aime »

Je pense ce sera rapide, s’ils créent une application qui peut le faire automatiquement. Si des applications mobiles comme Transit peuvent montrer une liste d’arrêts avec correspondances et une belle carte sans intervention humaine, j’en suis sur que le ARTM, STM, etc. peuvent le faire également.

Je ne suis pas sur, mais je pense que le STM utilise une application qui perment de générer les plan de quartier des stations de métro de façon automatique.

1 « J'aime »

New map spotted in AZUR train 10•141, from discord:

19 « J'aime »

Did you do it or ?? :eyes: Finally !!!

I didn’t haha this is official

1 « J'aime »

Is it me, or is the blue of the blue line more saturated on that map than the previous maps? It is such a tiny thing, but it really changes the color balance of the rest of the map.

I think the blue line is indeed a deeper shade of blue than before

L’espace entre les lignes verte et orange au centre-ville est aussi pas mal plus grand. C’est moins dramatique sur le plan métropolitain parce que les mots «Gare Centrale» sont plus gros, mais ça fait un peu vide sur ce plan-là.

It’s a bit hard to see, but a line for the 747 bus goes between that space. They might adjust the map slightly when it’s removed

They aligned Bonaventure, McGill and Édouard Montpetit in a straight line, so the REM line looks cleaner. If you look on older maps, Bonaventure and McGill were on a diagonal.

2 « J'aime »

Honestly, I think that bus lines really shouldn’t be on the metro map. Even on a metro that does not have all that many lines, it just clutters the space.

Strongly disagree. Depending on the nature or level of service, some lines absolutely need to be included. The 747 and the 439 fit the requirements.

7 « J'aime »

I would say that on a bigger sized map, all frequent bus routes should be placed on it. Buses still get 3/4 of the ridership as the Metro, and in other cities, the humble bus has more ridership than the sister train or rapid transit systems.

Le problème de représenter le SRB comme ça c’est surtout que il n’y a pas un service “SRB” qui va de Laval à Pie IX, il y a plusieurs lignes de bus qui convergent et divergent du couloir, la majorité qui ne vont pas à Laval qui a un service terrible. Le but de la carte c’est aider les utilisateurs à planifier des futurs trajets, je pense pas que ça aide là.
Par contre cette réussit très bien à convaincre qqn qui habite pas ce secteur que les centaines de millions du SRB ont produit une amélioration tangible du réseau de transit montréalais.

1 « J'aime »

Le principal avantage d’indiquer le SRB et de mettre la ligne « sur la map » et donc de faire connaître la ligne aux usagers, ça indique que cette ligne offre un service supérieur.

2 « J'aime »

Ça aide aussi à prévoir les correspondance, par exemple, quelqu’un qui sait qu’il doit prendre le SRB mais ne sait pas à quelle station descendre.

1 « J'aime »

Nous sommes le 6 septembre et la ligne A1 n’est toujours pas présente dans la vue « transports en commun » de Google Maps.

Aussi le logo de tramway miniature ne me semble pas approprié si on compare au logo M du métro.

4 « J'aime »

C’est effectivement le cas pour Laval, mais ce ne le sera que pour quelques mois encore.

Il n’y a pas tant de lignes qui utilisent l’infrastructure SRB, la 439 s’accapare la majorité des trajets. Il y a la 25 d’exo et les 52/252 de la STL pour deux arrêts mais sinon c’est plutôt fréquent et simple comme service.

2 « J'aime »