Aéroport Montréal-Trudeau - Discussion générale

We’ve been asking for Boston for a while – more options for all sorts of domestic and international connections.

What do you mean, you’ve been asking for Boston? A DL route ?

Yep.

1 « J'aime »

We used to fly to Boston with L1011s! Miami too!

2 « J'aime »

Does anyone know if air freight flights will be brought back to YUL from YMX? Growth in that sector seems negligible and tbh Montreal doesn’t need a dedicated airport to handle the few freighter flights it has. I doubt the need for 24 hr operations is that significant that airlines can’t get around it. We’re a city of over 4 million people and you’d think Air Canada along with some of the big air freight airlines worldwide would see a need to serve this region. Air Canada doesn’t serve YMX nor any other standard airline’s cargo division although they used to back in the 20th century. We’re in a good position geographically to feed freight into North America and I get the sense we’re just ignoring that.

We simply don’t have room for freighters here. We are already using virtually every available parking space for passenger aircraft; we would need dedicated taxiways and parking pads with full facilities for handling the 120 or so cargo-only flight movements a day that YMX currently handles, in addition to the 500-ish passenger flight movements that are already straining our capacity. Also, many cargo flights land and takeoff in the middle of the night, which is unacceptable at YUL.

5 « J'aime »

That’s what is was suggesting. Creating a dedicate cargo area with an apron and freight handling facilities to serve freighters. There’s already an exiting cargo area remote from the terminal. Breath some life into it and give it greater potential to grow.

I’d be curious to know what percentage of freighter flights leave or arrive between midnight and 7am at YMX. Most other airports don’t offer that window and they get by fine.

I just feel there’s no or very emphasis on this sector. Air Canada has left YUL out of its freighter schedule completely so far which given our size as a city and importance as a passenger hub for them it seems out of step with what it should be. Rather than doing split operations between two airports other carriers (Qatar Cargo?, Air France, KLM or Lufthansa Cargo?) might be enticed to come here. Dedicated freight carriers probably wouldn’t care as much but a more robust facility might bring them in too. AF and LH Cargo used to fly here pre Mirabel as did KLM. We should try and get them back.

YMX is a very efficient cargo hub. I don’t see the point of reinventing the wheel if we can’t grow physically at YUL. The Transport Canada-owned, ADM-managed lands north of the airport are protected, and there’s no room for a cargo ramp along Reverchon, while all the lands along Côte-Vertu are occupied by Bombardier, Transat, Lockheed, and AC, and along Ryan by FBOs.

7 « J'aime »

Check what’s loaded for us 01 APR…

Seems so, for now.

Why not have cargo go to Mirabel? Literally a huge abandoned airport only useful for cargo, can’t it at least do that?

3 « J'aime »

Avianca to start direct service to Montreal from Bogota on March 31 this will be 4 flights a week with Airbus 320

I do not have the source, but it’s what I heard

7 « J'aime »

Thanks, Avianca just announced it on X. Also this:

https://dataifx.com/post/avianca-anuncia-nueva-ruta-entre-bogota-y-montreal

https://x.com/avianca/status/1745091511207841809?s=46&t=QMCCQQ9M8R9volkeUp83ww

2 « J'aime »

By the way it’s loaded in GDS

2 « J'aime »

That’s a bit simplistic… It also hosts the A220 assembly lines and major maintenance, repair and overhaul sites. It’s by no means an abandoned airfield… They even reopened the control tower.

Air Canada is a bad example. Their Cargo operation uses both full freighters and passenger planes. They can’t use YMX unless they build a cargo stream big enough to sustain operations that don’t require to move things in the belly of a passenger plane. That’s why Pearson is a good hub, because there is space for both.

2 « J'aime »

Excellent addition, we now have daily service to Bogota.

Air Canada 3 weekly, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
Avianca 4 weekly, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday

9 « J'aime »

8 « J'aime »

It’s all year long right? I’m just confused some said it was between March and October?

It’s not loaded in Nov or Dec 2024, but this could change because Dec is an important month