Aéroport Montréal-Trudeau - Discussion générale

I removed my post, because I got my dates wrong initially.

I thought it was C-FIVS that was involved, when in fact it was C-FITL (Fleet Identification Number 731). I corrected my original post to reflect that.

Sorry about that.

How’s Emirates going so far at YUL is the plane mostly full every morning? How’s the demands?

Hi Frosty… I am noticing loads seem high on inbound to YUL rather then outbound to DXB in economy :slight_smile:

2 « J'aime »

I think that’ll reverse in due time. They’ve done almost no local marketing so far.

1 « J'aime »

I agree on that!

But there’s demands! Because c’est ben le fun Emirates at YUL but we need demands in order for them to stay.

1 « J'aime »

People keep saying carriers from the UAE don’t put as much emphasis on loads as other carriers do. All they want is to have a feed into their hub to generate traffic and grow the hub which seems to be the bigger priority. Both they and Qatar may switch to the smaller A350/787 (whenever EK gets theirs) if loads end up suiting them better than the 77W. Just IMO.

My avgeek sense of this is what’s been said earlier. Emirates isn’t as well known here as in their region so locals in Quebec aren’t likely to even know about them or the fact know they are flying here now so it makes sense loads inbound are greater than outbound. They may see the name and question who they are and book with a more traditional carrier like Air France or Air Canada instead. It may not be most travellers but some will do that. Plus many of those inbound will have to return home soon so it should even out eventually I suppose. It’s a new service that started with a short run up time which also affects loads. I’ll imagine it’s a bit early to see a realistic load factor pattern at this point but I could be wrong.

5 « J'aime »

It’s all about connection traffic. If they start to advertise to Asians and East Africans just how easy it is to connect through Dubai or Doha, they could almost force Air Canada to cancel their flights to the subcontinent.

3 « J'aime »

Most people use Google Flights, Kayak or SkyScanner to choose, and they care more about prices than about the airline.

Those who use Concur or another corporate service to book flights will probably already know about Emirates. They’ll also probably pick much more based on total trip duration and optimized connections.

I think where Emirates needs to get name recognition is the Frequent Flyer reciprocity. There are probably a lot of Aeroplan members who don’t know they can earn and redeem points on Emirates, because it’s not part of Star Alliance.

2 « J'aime »

Je regardais des vols pour le Vietnam récemment, et Emirate est définitivement l’option la moins chère pour un vol de moins de 24h avec seulement 1 escale.

5 « J'aime »

From what I heard, is it real or fake? I don’t know. Apparently, in 2024…

-Air China will start back service at YUL. They were supposed to start this summer but it didn’t happen long story and i think we all know why…

-Qatar will have 2 daily flights to YUL. Apparently they even have enough demand to bring their A380 to YUL…

-Air Transat will join an Alliance. Will it be One World, Sky Team, or Star Alliance? If so, it’s a bit obvious.

-From what I heard from Transat, they will buy some new widebody. If so, will it be some A330-800neo, A330-900neo, or even some A350?

Believe me or not, is that BS or not? I don’t know, but for sure I can’t divulge my information.

5 « J'aime »

what ? :astonished:

I heard that about Air China last year meaning a 2024 restart. It’s likely true. I’ll guess Air Canada will also restart China flights next year too.

Interesting about Qatar if true. Someone here said they weren’t making money on the YUL run so someone is wrong or they are offering unrealistically low fares. Personally I’d love to see an A380 flight if only to match Toronto’s daily Emirates A380. I’d take it from Emirates too if they end up upgrading.

Transat and an alliance? Hum, who knows? The A330neos seem logical. a350s would be awesome but that’s the plane geek in me.

2 « J'aime »

:joy::wink: Didn’t say they were or were not making money. But with cheap fuel and full state subsidization, they can afford to cover a full schedule with 60% load factors.

2 « J'aime »

That Qatar A380 would probably make sense in order to go head to head with Emirates… in response wow interesting

2 « J'aime »

This year Qatar wanted to come at YUL with there A380… Guess what happened ADM said NO… If Qatar comes with 2 flights a day next year it’s because of that!

4 « J'aime »

On July 5 I was there for Emirates inaugural flight. On that day, some people that works at ADM came, and they gave us some gifts like an Emirates hat and more…

Anyway!

While they were there, I told them it’s fun that we have Emirates here after all those years. But it’s sad that ADM always refuse the A380, they even wanted to come here with it. And when I said that, they looked at me like I insulted them. They responded with, why are you saying that? There’s a difference of bringing an A380 at YUL in peak hour than in the morning when there’s less traffic. So I don’t know why you’re saying that if we need Emirates A380, we will have it! So does that mean we will see an A380 at YUL? Or did I just crush their Ego? LOL!

After that, I asked them about Ethiopian and Avianca at YUL, if they are planning to will come at YUL? They responded, we can’t say our secrets…

7 « J'aime »

Transat dans une des 3 grandes alliances, ça me semble improbable à moins que la compagnie ne se fasse acheter (et comme Westjet et Air Canada se sont désisté, ça aussi ça semble improbable). Ou à moins qu’on parle d’une alliance plus informelle que celle des 3 majeures.

Il faut se demander pourquoi Transat ferait ça. Ses forces sont son réseau étendu à partir de Montréal et Toronto vers le Sud et vers des aéroports régionaux en Europe. Sa faiblesse serait son absence de réseau intérieur. Elle peut donc gagner à avoir un partenaire “feeder” qui profiterait de sa connectivité à Toronto et Montréal vers ces deux destinations.

Ça m’étonnerait qu’il y ait de la place pour Transat au sein de Star Alliance, vu la présence d’Air Canada. One World est virtuellement absente du marché intérieur canadien, donc on peut oublier aussi pour le moment. Il resterait donc SkyTeam. En ce moment, Transat partage ses codes avec Westjet qui est très près de SkyTeam et ça pourrait être un bon match avec le retrait de Westjet de l’Est. Ça pourrait justifier la création d’un réseau intérieur plus élaboré chez Transat pour profiter de synergies avec Delta et AF/KLM. Mais c’est quand même voir loin, il me semble.

4 « J'aime »

It wasn’t you I was thinking of and it might have been on the other board. Your right though, government help surely helps them both if they’re getting aid. I know Emirates is too big to fail for them. I’m sure Qatar is the same.

2 « J'aime »

:scream:. Wow. I recall when Air France sent the A380 to YUL, the airport spent half a million dollars on a special gate to handle the two-level plane. However, Air France turned around and pulled the plane from Montreal’s schedule. I believe the airport was stuck with that expense and had no other A380 to fill in and offset the cost. I’m not sure if that gate as originally designed still exists.

Qatar is putting their A380s back in service, but I read they are still retiring them, so I suppose the ADM is recalling Air France. If there is any cost in preparation for this jet, they may end up getting stuck with a high cost for a short-term venture. It probably isn’t worth it for them to do it; they should let Qatar come in twice daily instead.

…just random thoughts on my part.

4 « J'aime »