Trains exo - Discussion générale

Travaux à la gare Parc
29-10-2021

6 « J'aime »

Still just a tiny level crossing across live train tracks to interconnect with the metro? Smh. Most of the traffic on Ogilvy is delivery trucks for the Provigo right at the Métro station. For a dead-end street it is shockingly pedestrian-unfriendly. It amazes me how poorly integrated our different transit services really are, and how it looks like there is zero interest in improving it anytime soon. Bois-Franc, Sauvé, Parc, Namur, Bonaventure, and soon Centrale, Édouard-Monpetit, McGill.

ETA: I forgot Vendôme, one of the worst. All that time and money to “integrate” and it’s one of the worst.

5 « J'aime »

Trust me, I’ve been thinking about this every time I use the station. Almost everyone spilling off the train walks directly to the back entrance of metro Parc and yet I have to dodge reversing trucks full of blind spots while walking on that “sidewalk” (generous name for that 1.5m cracked explosion of curb). Now, given how many years it took to simply clip a fence to open up a walkway that already exists, any improvement to the station itself is a pipedream. This street should would be low hanging fruit for the city but what we really should have is a weather protected connection between the stations. Is parc station directly under the street, or is there anything stopping a simple underground tunnel being built under Ogilvy to connect the stations?

One of the (selfish, I’ll admit) reasons that I wanted Via HFR to Québec city to terminate here was to force everyone to make an effort to improve the area :wink:

2 « J'aime »

Seems like it.
https://www.stm.info/sites/default/files/parcpqsw20_0.pdf

1 « J'aime »

thanks for the quick response!

It does still look like they’d have space between the headhouse foundation and underground station to excavate a tunnel parallel and connect it to the underground mezzanine. I’m dreaming here of course, but I’d even respect a covered walkway the length of Ogilvy similar to Lucien l’allier! We need to stop treating our train stations like bumps in the side of the road.

3 « J'aime »

I don’t think this is due to a lack of will from the STM or ARTM, but negotiating with CP, the feds, the provincial government, the city, etc. That might just be the reason why it’s so complicated, unfortunately :frowning: Look how much work it took just for a simple level crossing.

That’s called “dysfunction.”

2 « J'aime »

That’s what happens when you let private freight companies dictate what can and can’t be done. Until some higher level of government actually implements changes to that policy, there is nothing the City, STM or the ARTM can do.

1 « J'aime »

Il faut quand même garder en tête que la ligne de train St-Jérôme était à la base un service temporaire installé en toute urgence durant la rénovation d’un pont. Ça a débuté il y a tout juste 20-25 ans avec des gares en bois et ça ne qu’il y a 10 ans environ, avec l’arrivée de la ligne à St-Jérôme et la correspondance au métro de Laval, que la ligne a vraiment pris son essor. La ligne bleue, quant à elle, roulait encore des trains à 3 voitures au moment de la création de la ligne. C’est donc aussi un peu pour ces raisons qu’on n’a pas une belle gare multimodale vraiment intégrée.

Cela étant dit, on va éventuellement installer un ascenseur à la station Parc. Ça pourrait bien être l’opportunité de rapiécer tout ça comme il faut.

6 « J'aime »

Yes, I think nowadays many people are in favour of cities enacting by-laws that restrict the activities of absentee owners, commercial Airbnb operators, and property speculators that leave buildings abandoned for years. By a similar token, I believe the federal government should do something that would prevent Class I and Class II railways from hanging on to underused or abandoned lines, spurs, and infrastructure, by reclaiming them and deeding them to the provinces or cities for transit or other public uses.

1 « J'aime »

This. Imagine if the Feds had done that from the beginning? We’d own so much ROW.

Although… The Feds did own half the trackage in the country before privatizing it.

La ville de Montréal a poursuivi le CP pour l’obliger à accepter la mise en place de passages à niveau.
Les passages sur l’antenne Saint-Jérôme sont autorisés et la ville est en train d’en mettre un en place (le précédent n’était pas légal). Les passages sur l’antenne Outremont, vers le port, ont été refusés.

1 « J'aime »

The railways were private before nationalization, granted their vast, incalculably valuable rights of way via eminent domain thanks to a relatively new confederation government that was eager to unify and protect the country.

And they bought half of them went they went bankrupt… Until privatizing them again in 1995. Imagine what could have happened in the 2010s with the federal government owning most of the trackage in cities (although this wouldn’t impact anything around Parc station).

1 « J'aime »

Petit update de la construction du passage à niveau de la gare Parc (cette fois-ci du côté de de Castelnau)
07-11-2021

7 « J'aime »

Update quasi-quotidien des travaux à la gare Parc. Ça avance assez vite.
11-11-2021

8 « J'aime »

Not related to anything here :wink:… Network Rail in the UK is trying to eliminate most level crossings over mainlines, including pedestrian crossings. This is a prototype footbridge that uses composites to make a relatively inexpensive and attractive crossing that is quick and easy to install.

10 « J'aime »

That’s pretty cool!!

Wow! Très élégante comme passerelle, un très bon exemple,

Ici on est toujours pris avec nos normes et règlements plus sévères,
Il faut 6 mètres de dégagement sous la passerelle, ce qui est très haut,
Les garde-corps doivent être plus haut que les gens, donc presque des murs
Et il faut que ce soit accessible universellement, donc très longue rampe ou ascenseur

3 « J'aime »

Yes, let’s make it “safe“. Or let’s just let people cross live tracks.

3 « J'aime »