Alternatives au Projet structurant de l’est (PSE)

Absolument.

C’est pourquoi qu’à Laval et son énorme population, je ferais le Rem3 jusqu’à tout le moins au Boulevard Dagenais au lieu d’arrêter la ligne au Carrefour Laval.

Ainsi les bus du Nord de Laval pourraient se rabattrent à la station Dagenais.

Cetteextension serait et sera sans doute intéressante en terme de capacité de passagers.

I’d love to know what’s causing this current obsession in Montreal with “fully-automated” metros. It makes no sense that every proposal is being shot down just because “it’s not automated.” So what? The rest of the world — which is marching on into the future without us — is building all kinds of transit, from streetcars to light rail to APMs to metros to regional express trains, some automated but most not. The difference in the “cost of operation” is minimal at worst and often non-existent.

For example, if a properly-routed, mostly-grade-separated surface light rail were the chosen mode for the east end, it might cost as much as $100 million per kilometre to build — about one-third the cost of the proposed REM-de-l’Est. What exactly are these supposed extra operating costs? Everybody throws that expression around without citing them. Drivers? A 32 km line with trains running at 5- to 10-minute intervals will need around 30 vehicles. With three overlapping shifts they’ll need a roster of perhaps 200 drivers. I am not sure what STM drivers make but let’s assume $100K. That’s $20 million a year. It’ll take 350 years to make up the difference — ignoring the costs of borrowing the extra $7 billion. What other extra operating costs are there? I’m serious.

1 « J'aime »

I was asking myself the same question. I don’t think that the choice for automated trains on the REM is for saving money onto the operation costs. And yet, an automated train system needs a control center with employees doing camera surveillance and such. We can surely say this is not the reason why the REM is less expensive than, let’s say, the blue line to Anjou.

But for what is going to be delivered, the REM de l’Est is not really expensive. 7 km of tunnel, 6 underground stations (with one being connected to an existing metro station and another on a projected metro line), and 25 km of elevated light train. Not to mention, this is a totally new system, which needs maintenance centers for trains, a new adminstration and a higher risk financial security than the blue line.

• I’d like to read a newspaper article about the reasons of the production costs for the REM de l’Est, like La Presse did with the blue line some year ago.
1 « J'aime »

From what I understand, it’s because driverless trains can run more frequently with less space between them than human operated trains. This makes it possible to run smaller trains (to smaller stations) faster and more frequently and get the same capacity for less infrastructure cost. There’s no way an at-grade on-street tram/train could run at a a 90 seconds interval without bunching up at some point.

1 « J'aime »

For a tramway system, I think the maximum interval for trains is about 5 minutes. But for a metro line with conductors, the frequency could be as high as for an automated light-rail line.

But that’s just what makes the point moot. The REM-B is proposed to be waaaay overbuilt considering its theoretical frequencies and capacity, and the needs for the route. A maximum theoretical capacity of 12000/h means they honestly don’t need automation or elevated guideways, just to run 40 metre people-movers.

$10 billion could pay for an LRT and multiple BRTs plus substantially improved, electrified suburban trains covering much of the east end and beyond, not just a people-mover in an alignment that mostly favours real estate speculators over common residents.

Whether the LRT is automated or not, the final cost would be probably the same. So what’s wrong with those trains on the REM de l’Est? You say it’s overbuilt, but is it the only reason?

Maybe automated trains are a new thing we aren’t used to in Montreal, especially that the REM will be mostly outside, with weather hasards that are not comparable with Paris or any city with that kind of system.

Pour info dans ce message sont présentés différents degrés d’automatisation (GoA1 → 4) :

@samuelmath: l’interval entre 2 trains de tramway peut être bien plus petite que 5 minutes. Par exemple à Strasbourg en France en heure de pointe j’ai souvent vu et pris des trams qui passent quasiment aux minutes sur les tronçons centraux. Dans ces cas on a l’impression qu’ils conduisent à vue par rapport au tram précédent (ce qu’on ne peut pas faire dans un tunnel).
Cependant tout dépend aussi probablement de la technologie : plus il y a de l’automatisation (même avec un conducteur), plus on peut se permettre d’être serré dans les fréquences.

Juste à titre de comparaison : les trains du métro de Copenhague, composés de 3 courtes voitures, font 39 mètres de long et sont plus étroits (2,65 m de large).

1 « J'aime »

Les tronçons centraux du tramway de Strasbourg sont souvent au centre-ville avec des trains qui circulent très “slow”. Ces trams doivent rouler à maximum 5km/h pour éviter d’écraser les piétons, ce qui permet d’augmenter le nombre de trams sur les rails. Si on veut une vitesse plus grande (exemple: maximum 40km/h), il faut distancer davantage les trains, d’où les intervalles aux 5 minutes.

À Prague, dans les tronçons centraux, l’intervalle entre les trams est souvent inférieur à 2 minutes. Cependant, leur réseau a 2 particularités :

• Les quais sont suffisamment longs pour 2 rames de tram, ce qui permet aux trams de se suivre de très près (les trams font environ 32 m de long et les quais environ 65 m)
  • Les trams ont la priorité absolue. Oui, même face aux piétons! Les chauffeurs ont le pied pesant, (les Skoda 15T font 1000 chevaux alors on en profite hein) et la cloche du tram sonne souvent pour signifier aux piétons et automobilistes de se tasser du chemin. Ce qui fait que la vitesse commerciale est bien plus élevée que la moyenne européenne, malgré l’importante densité de piétons et touristes dans cette ville. Pour avoir été à Vienne, les trams se traînent là-bas en comparaison.

Ainsi, le réseau de tram est compétitif face à l’automobile, et cela fait de ce réseau le 2e plus achalandé au monde après Budapest, malgré que Prague ait un réseau de métro assez développé aussi.

3 « J'aime »

Pour les avoir bien fréquentés, je dirais qu’ils roulent aussi vite qu’un vélo dans le centre-ville, donc en moyenne 15 - 20 km/h, y compris dans les nombreuses zones piétonnes de la ville (ils sont aussi prioritaire sur les piétons, vélos, voitures…).

En heure de pointe en centre-ville, tu as raison, ils roulent un peu moins vite, car il y a plus de trains et potentiellement plus de monde proche des voies. Mais ils ne sont pas si “slow” que tu pense. C’est un moyen de transport qui reste bien efficace (et très développé dans cette ville).

Et en effet, la vitesse est plus intéressante dès que l’on s’éloigne des zones denses, et où les stations sont un peu plus espacées.

1 « J'aime »

I’m not concerned by the automation whatsoever. What I’m saying is, and I’ll repeat myself yet again, “Why are we building a $10 billion infrastructure that will have the capacity of bus rapid transit or a tramway?”

If we can justify spending $10 billion because of density, or O-D studies, or projections of massive future development, then it should be $10 billion dollars of proper rapid transit, not an APM with an at-launch capacity of 3100 pphd that’s limited to a theoretical maximum of just 12000 pphd. This appears to be just some sort of vanity project. But if the studies they’ve rushed only show a future need for a maximum of 12000 pphd, why on earth should we be okay with spending that kind of money when the at launch “need” for 3100 pphd can be adequately served today with well-designed PBM or BRT, and down the road with a mostly-grade-separated LRT or tram-train?

3 « J'aime »

Oui, Prague, sauf qu’on l’a vu sur un autre video, plein d’obstacles ralentissent les trams:

1 « J'aime »

Your avatar is a Praha Skoda and I love it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Je suis un fan fini du Škoda 15T et de Prague (et de la Tchéquie en général). Ça paraît tu? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ouais mais ça c’est vrai pour tous les réseaux de tram, à partir du moment où la voie est partagée avec piétons et automobilistes/intersections à niveau, encore plus là où y’a des touristes pas habitués aux trams. Y’a des vidéos similaires pour Varsovie, Budapest, Lisbonne, et j’en passe.

1 « J'aime »

Well, BRT and PBM are not fast compared to a LRT. La vitesse moyenne est d’environ 18 km/h, tandis que celle d’un métro léger comme le REM est de 51 km/h.

1 « J'aime »

Enfin ça c’est un “best-of” des pire situations, ce n’est pas très exhaustif. Même si les chauffeurs de tram doivent en voir des pas mal, à tous les jours ça reste un moyen de transport très efficace et structurant.

N’oublions pas que Copenhagen a aussi l’S-train, un métro qui dessert le centre et aussi les banlieues.