Station Gare Centrale (REM)

That’s true, they did the studies and have said how people taking the REM will be willing to walk further like connecting to the green line underground or walking, unlike they do currently with the bus. I’m curious to see how people’s habits will change when it opens

2 « J'aime »

Idk about the situation staying the same now that the fare structure is different. Taking the difference between terminus Centre-Ville and the transfer to the metro versus the REM, most people taking the REM will have a Zone AB passe mensuel and may want to continue their journey on the metro rather than walk. RTL customers were for many years treated to only having to buy a bus pass, if they were willing to walk the extra kilometers

3 « J'aime »

There is also the new fare created for if people want to walk now, the RTL/REM fare, which would save people money if they’re willing to walk and not take the metro/stm bus

1 « J'aime »

Keep in mind that it’s a 3-4 minute walk from centrale to bonaventure so it’s not exactly “right there”. Many downtown destinations will be faster to walk to from centrale than via the orange line metro; unless their final destination is closer to the green line metro in which case they should be getting off at mcgill instead, not centrale

As @mashdash pointed out there’s also RTLREM fare would allows REM access but not metro access that many will likely want to take advantage of, on the south shore side

??? Did they really do that? I wish they would please stop messing with the harmonized fare structure before it becomes a mess like it was before. 700 different tickets because every suburbanite needs their own pass

Je ne sais plus mais avant la refonte, il me semble qu’il y avait des titres « trains seulement », exact?

Si c’est le cas, ces gens n’étaient pas portés à transférer vers le métro, évidemment. Ce qui changera avec les nouveaux titres ARTM.

2 « J'aime »

Moi personellement j’achetais toujours un TRAM2 et je marchais quand même assez souvent. Le temps que ça prend de marcher au metro, rentree, attendre le prochain, arriver, sortir du métro, pis marcher encore à la destination finale, it adds up. Sauf si la destination finale c’est en dessus d’un station du métro, pour un assez grand nombre de personnes c’est carrément plus vite de marcher…

It actually was part of the fare reform since the beginning I believe, and added last July when they assumed the summer section of the REM was added:

People would save $45 if they just did RTL and REM instead of the AB fare which is a great deal

1 « J'aime »

The solution to that would be either fare hikes or single-zone system. Fare hikes are pretty universally unpopular (Just look at the laval/longueuil situation for example) and single-zone would cause the agencies to lose out on money, so they still need exceptional tickets for certain old trips that aren’t well covered by new tickets (eg buses straight from longueuil to montreal that cannot run anymore with the REM; you go from needing just a Bus ticket (same price as old RTL ticket iirc) to needing an All modes ticket which is a significant hike)

I don’t like it either, and personally I feel like we really shoulda just gone the single zone option, but for what it’s worth it’s an ok compromise

The problem is that they are basically breaking the concept of zones A and B. It should be simple, I buy a ticket and I can go everywhere here and there. Why would Brossard and Longueuil residents get this deal grandfathered in, but Laval doesn’t count? What about someone who works near métro Henri Bourassa but lives near Montmorency? The distance is not greater than Panama → Bonaventure

The only solution to me would basically be a fare hike for those specific users. The silver lining for them is that they get access to the entire transit system of Montréal and won’t have to buy extra tickets. So it depends. For a future where commuters are a decreasing part of the public transit equation, should we really be prioritizing the metro boulot dodo in the fare structure?

Can you clarify this because in the description it says “…and the SouthShore branch of the REM”.
I take that to mean only able to use Panama station, Dix30 station and Brossard station of the REM no?
I wouldn’t be able to use Gare Centrale REM on this fare (nor McGill station etc etc)

I might be misunderstanding something? but hey if i’m wrong that fare is a great deal, but that’s what I was disappointed for previously

1 « J'aime »

I’m not 100% sure actually now that you mentioned that. I thought it included Gare Centrale because that’s what I count as the start of the “South Shore Branch” but I’ll have to check

1 « J'aime »

Ouais, je pense aussi que ça se limite aux stations de la Rive-Sud, mais on verra bien.

1 « J'aime »

I dont think it would make sense for it to not include GC… The point of the fare is for people who used to take RTL buses to downtown; if you just need to go from say panama to brossard you can already use the RTL buses anyways which would make it pointless.

1 « J'aime »

Comment pensez-vous que le REM annoncera cette station lorsqu’elle entrera ?

• “Station: Gare Centrale”
  • “Gare Centrale”

0 votant

1 « J'aime »

Ce tarif est déjà en fonction et il s’agit d’un titre de transition, il existe la même chose pour les autobus d’Exo un peu plus loin sur la Rive-Sud

Ces utilisateurs sont dans une situation spéciale puisqu’ils pouvaient auparavant prendre une passe mensuelle du RTL ou de leur CIT uniquement et se rendre au centre-ville (au lieu d’une carte TRAM beaucoup plus chère). À ce jour, le REM n’est pas encore ouvert et donc en théorie ces gens devraient pouvoir utiliser une passe “Mensuel Bus” à 105$ puisqu’ils utilisent uniquement des autobus vers le centre-ville, mais à terme, ils devront passer à une passe AB ou ABC quand le REM sera en fonction. Comme ces passes coûtent quand même 30%-50% plus cher, on a créé une passe spéciale de transition pour ceux qui ne font que le trajet Rive-Sud - Centre-ville à partir des stationnements incitatifs.

À mon souvenir, son prix doit augmenter graduellement sur quelques années pour éventuellement disparaître parce qu’elle sera le même prix que la passe AB.

1 « J'aime »

Je m’excuse d’avance si ça a déja été discuté mais est ce qu’il y a des plans pour rénover en profondeur la Gare ?? Pour un Montréalais qui a vu Union Station la semaine passé j’étais vraiment faché de voir le contraste. Tout doit être revu ! Les accès, le stationnement, le batiment principal en lui-même! Ça va pas du tout. Est ce qu’on en parle ?

1 « J'aime »

Don’t worry

Si tu parles de Union Station à Toronto, ça a été toute une saga pour se rendre où ils sont rendus, c,est donc signe qu’il y a de l’espoir!

1 « J'aime »

Le bâtiment de la gare Union appartient à la ville de Toronto. À Montréal la gare est privée. Aussi frustrant que ça puisse être ça n’est donc pas (plus) notre gare mais celle de Cominar. Est-ce que d’améliorer l’expérience des voyageurs en rendant la gare moins lugubre et datée ferait augmenter les revenus venant des loyers commerciaux?

6 « J'aime »