Station Anse-à-l'Orme

:joy: I’m thinking more like the dietetics clinic, student services, lecture halls, library, athletic complex, student housing, etc. The farms can stay were they are, they’ll be at similar walking distance, but the buildings would be closer to the REM, with a direct access to downtown campus.

4 « J'aime »

With frequent, rapid and economical small EMU running every 15-20 minutes on the Exo1 line, we won’t need to relocate the campus close to the rem L’anse à l’orme station;)

2 « J'aime »

Now where have I heard that before? :wink:

An exo1 upgrade is a great idea, but that’s not really what I’m getting at. See, McGill has a space deficit and a stock of older facilities that aren’t suited for the university’s needs anymore. New transit options prompts new opportunities, but transit is not the core issue.

I was thinking more along the line of UdeM’s strategy. They’ve consolidated some campuses along direct rapid transit lines, and are building momentum with the MIL campus, their incubator and all the businesses in Mile-Ex. The idea would be to do something similar, albeit smaller in scale, tagging the project to SADB’s PPU and plan for a bioressource/green tech campus (and Baie d’Urfée if they want to jump in, it could help their case for better accessibility). It wouldn’t hurt to have an institutional partner like McGill.

As for the vacant buildings at the Macdonald Campus, they could be well suited for college level activities. John Abbott could use them to expand, or they could be used for a French CEGEP.

There’s not much of an offer for bioressource programs in French in the Montreal metro area, but if McGill was in a position to free up some space (say, had state-of-the-art installations on Sainte Marie, closer to the upper campus (arboretum, farms, etc.), with a direct connection to the main campus), that space would be well suited for such programs. A French CEGEP closer to exo1 would also be more accessible to people in the Vaudreuil-Soulanges region, who’ve been waiting for a French CEGEP for a while now.

4 « J'aime »

As much as I wished the REM would properly link the 2 campuses (the l’Anse-à-l’Orme station location being a letdown), it is very unlikely that this branch will be prolonged near John Abbott and MacDonald campus, as it will hardly be seen as a priority.

As far as relocating the MacDonald campus, it would require significant funding, and would need to be seen as a priority by the university.

With the New Vic project currently underway and promising to last for many years to come, I don’t see McGill getting a whole lot more funding in the foreseeable future. The obstacles to expand its main campus (the real priority) are already significant; the detailed bill is not yet confirmed, but we already know to expect upward of a billion.

Imagine the psychodrama if an anglo university was to receive hundreds of millions more for another new expansion project? After they are already taking over the RVH (part of, but the media rarely nuance) and pumping hundreds of millions of public funding?

I think your idea has some merits, but I don’t see a momentum any time soon. McGill will have plenty on its plate with the New Vic, and that is without mentioning the hundreds of millions in maintenance deficit…

2 « J'aime »

Sure. It’s not like I’m suggesting a short or even medium term move north. SADB vision is definitely a decades long project, so there would be time for the university to signal their interest in consolidating some activities at l’Anse-à-l’Orme. Since UdeM, did the whole musical chair thing with school boards and moving some departments to MIL, my post is more about what benefits McGill (and other parties, John Abbot, new French CEGEP, etc.) could get by following UdeM’s example.

1 « J'aime »

Oh… oh… ! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Présence d’amiante Trois pavillons de l’Université McGill fermés de toute urgence

PHOTO TIRÉE DU SITE WEB DE L’UNIVERSITÉ MCGILL | Le pavillon Raymond

L’Université McGill a dû fermer trois pavillons en raison de la présence d’amiante. Une « situation préoccupante » survenue dans le cadre de travaux de rénovation au campus Macdonald, à Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue.

1er février 2023 | Publié à 13h08 | MARIE-EVE MORASSE | LA PRESSE

Article complet

L’annonce de la fermeture des pavillons Raymond, Macdonald-Stewart et Barton a été faite tard mardi soir à la communauté universitaire. Ces pavillons hébergent notamment la Faculté des sciences de l’agriculture et de l’environnement.

« Des tests (épreuves de contamination par frottis) menés aujourd’hui ont révélé la présence d’amiante sur certaines surfaces du Pavillon Raymond, où des travaux de rénovation sont réalisés. Au cours des prochains jours, on procédera à la réalisation de tests approfondis afin de déceler et d’isoler la source du problème », écrit le directeur de la sécurité publique sur le campus, Pierre Barberie.

D’ici vendredi, les cours seront donnés en ligne. Quant aux activités de recherche, seul le personnel « dont le rôle consiste notamment à prendre soin d’animaux ou à préserver des cultures cellulaires et des plantes vivantes sera autorisé à entrer ».

« Nous sommes conscients qu’il s’agit d’une situation préoccupante. Sachez que nous prenons ce problème très au sérieux. Il existe des normes strictes associées à la réfection de bâtiments où la présence d’amiante a été décelée », écrit M. Barberie.

2 « J'aime »

:exploding_head:

Mais ces gens ne prennent-ils pas déjà le pont pour se rendre au centre-ville?

6 « J'aime »

11 « J'aime »

10 « J'aime »

Entrave - Fermeture complète d’une portion du Chemin Sainte-Marie en direction Est

ROUTIÈRE | MAJEURE

Du 15 mai au 12 juin 2023

Ouest-de-l’Île et Aéroport

Capture d’écran, le 2023-05-13 à 23.56.28

Nature des travaux :

Afin d’entamer les travaux de remise en état, la mobilisation d’une nouvelle entrave sera nécessaire sur une portion du Chemin Ste-Marie en direction Est, entre le Boul. Morgan et le Chemin de l’Anse-à-l’Orme.

Cette entrave aura lieu du 15 mai au 12 juin 2023.

Carte illustrant la zone de détour

Impacts et mesures d’atténuation :

• Fermeture complète d’une portion du Chemin Sainte-Marie en direction Est, entre le boul. Morgan et le Chemin de l’Anse-à-l’Orme. Des signaleurs et la signalisation adéquate seront présents pour indiquer le chemin de détour.
  • Circulation locale maintenue en tout temps pour l’accès aux commerces et entreprises.
  • La piste cyclable et le chemin trottoir resteront accessibles durant les travaux.
2 « J'aime »

8 « J'aime »
3 « J'aime »

13 « J'aime »

2023-08-16

View from St-Marie Rd of the station and the the maintenance center:

8 « J'aime »

Photos des travaux, partagées sur le site de NouvLR: :+1:

Station Anse-à-l’Orme - Été 2023

13 « J'aime »

Hi,

I’m not sure if this was answered above, but will there be a bus connection between the REM station and the Baie-D’Urfé exo station? Will there be any modifications to “extend” rue morgan to merge with “Rue Utilités Publiques” to make it happen? See image.

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 2.15.08 pm

1 « J'aime »

Much more likely that there will be a link between L’Ance-à-L’orme station and John abbot college so it’s more likely we will have a link to Saint-Anne-de-Bellevue Station. Baie d’urfé is in the middle of nowhere

Except literally across the highway… That’s the baie-d’urfe industrial park that would need the rem for employees…