Aéroport Montréal-Trudeau - Discussion générale

Accra bof pas top, Abidjan voire Dakar meilleurs choix.

1 « J'aime »

Ou Lomé

It’s not just about O/D between Quebec and Ghana. It’s about 5th Freedom rights; not only does Accra provide good connections across West Africa, but there is healthy traffic between Anglo West and East African nations. Ethiopian and Kenya are far less likely to establish a through-route with a stop in Franco West Africa. KQ would rather stop in Shannon than Dakar or Abidjan (notwithstanding the fact that it’s also quicker and uses less fuel).

2 « J'aime »

Exactly. In the similar article I posted earlier it explained they wanted to serve Toronto’s additional frequencies via Accra. For Montreal they proposed 4x a week and mentioned Dakar and Abidjan as desired alternatives but as you say it depends on 5th freedoms.

Washington is served via Lomé though. ET has codeshares with Asky Airlines out of that city and can offer a pretty decent set of connections to all of West Africa with them. So nothing is set in stone yet and there’s lots of potential options if those freedoms line up. It might be one of reasons why this is taking so long

1 « J'aime »

Le problème de Montréal c’est sa faible demande domestique et la grande compétition sur les segments loisir (aka le Sud). Si Westjet est seulement capable de remplir ses avions l’hiver, en se basant uniquement sur du trafic local (pas de correspondances), dans un marché compétitif, ça va être très difficile et le coût d’opportunité va être bien trop élevé. En d’autres termes: Westjet est capable de faire de l’argent ailleurs.

Ça va bouger un peu avec l’acquisition de Sunwing, et on risque de voir des avions turquoises un peu plus à Montréal, mais ultimement le problème va rester le même.

1 « J'aime »

Qui veux payer plus cher qu’aller en Europe pour rester au Canada? Les prix ne font aucun sens pour les vols domestiques.

Ça c’est exactement le genre de résultat découlant du manque de compétition.

4 « J'aime »

Ngl, WS scaling way back at YUL benefits me: in spite of the DOT causing the joint venture to be put on ice, there was quite a bit of talk that they’d still use the partnership to take over a couple of our transborder routes from YUL and YYZ. Now that’s almost certainly impossible.

1 « J'aime »

Yeah I wouldn’t worry at all… Montreal is going to be the last place in the country where Westjet expands.

2 « J'aime »

Sun Country is planning Minneapolis to Montreal and Toronto flights.

6 « J'aime »

I’m in Europe now … my first transatlantic flight since 2019. My YUL experience was good :+1: lots of activity and action, my flight was at 8 pm to Barcelona and I visited the last gates next to Carlos and peppes and 3 flights were getting ready to board KLM, and AC side by side Rome & Casablanca.

Lots of energy and people. People love to bitch about YUL but I had a smooth experience … the pic is of Lufthansa FRA and Air Canada GVA

14 « J'aime »

Air Transat is adding Marrakech starting next summer, 2 weekly year round, A321.

11 « J'aime »

I wonder if YUL will be the only direct destination to Marrakech in America? :thinking:

3 « J'aime »

Marrakech’s only destination in North America will be Montreal.

Also Air Transat’s first and only African destination.

11 « J'aime »

It seems that Turkish Airlines has loaded the 777-300ER for YUL-IST (İstanbul) replacing the A350-900.

2 « J'aime »

What would be the reason ? Load ? I think the B777-300 has more seats right ? I know they had a good summer season this year

British Airways is also switching to the 777-200ER this winter, which is an increase in capacity compared to the 787-8

Yes. it’s because of equipment interior changes on the B787 … I love the BA 777 product, I have not flown with them since 2017… and not flown on the their 777 since 2010 I think

1 « J'aime »

Is there a particular reason or there’s just more demand?

Pas de vols WestJet entre Montréal et Toronto jusqu’au 28 avril

Un avion de WestJet sur le tarmac.
WestJet a suspendu sa desserte Montréal-Toronto jusqu’au printemps 2024.
PHOTO : LA PRESSE CANADIENNE / JEFF MCINTOSH

Radio-Canada
Publié hier à 14 h 33 HAE

WestJet a suspendu sa ligne aérienne entre Montréal et Toronto pour la saison hivernale. Les vols reprendront le 28 avril.

La compagnie aérienne basée à Calgary a indiqué plus tôt ce mois-ci qu’elle interrompait temporairement cette desserte aérienne pour des motifs de performance et d’orientation stratégique. WestJet invoque notamment des raisons de rendement et un objectif de développer sa présence dans l’est du Canada cet hiver.

Le transporteur indique sur son site Internet que sa ligne entre les deux métropoles reprendra à partir du 28 avril.

En juin dernier, WestJet avait annoncé la fermeture de sa compagnie aérienne à bas prix Swoop pour l’intégrer à ses activités courantes. L’intégration complète du personnel devait être terminée en octobre.

Le transporteur, qui a aussi racheté le transporteur Sunwing Airlines, compte également intégrer les activités de cette compagnie aérienne à bas prix à ses activités courantes d’ici les deux prochaines années.